Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Print, Thoughts?

Posted by BlaiddDrwg 
First Print, Thoughts?
January 27, 2014 07:06AM
First test print last night with my MakerFarm Prusa i3 6" with Magma hotend. About 76% through the print the machine jerked slightly, causing the print to slide, and then the nozzle got hooked on the print. I took a lot of video of the print to help with analzying what went wrong. I used Garnier Nutrise, extra hold anti-humidity bamboo spray on the bed. I'm thinking of testing next with an UTU Stick (purple glue stick). The cube definitely appears warped at different areas. Colin thinks it could be that the nozzle started too far or too close to the bed, so tonight I'll play around with that. I initially had the nozzle closer, but the filament kept riding up around the print.

I couldn't get the photos to load, so here is the link to the folder they're in on Dropbox. [www.dropbox.com]

Thanks!
Re: First Print, Thoughts?
January 27, 2014 08:02AM
Picture #8, is that a shot of the bottom of the cube, or the top? If it's the bottom, it would seem to me your nozzle isn't close enough to the bed. As I understand it, the first layer of filament should be more squished together than what that's showing. That may be why you lost adhesion and the object moved during printing.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
January 27, 2014 08:06AM
The pictures where one section of filament looks somewhat detached were the bottom layers
January 27, 2014 02:28PM
Looks like your Z zero is too high. Should be paper thick high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 02:29PM by rcazwillis.
January 27, 2014 08:02PM
I moved the nozzle closer, here's the second print using a smaller file of a ring from Thingiverse. Did a much better job, but noticed a problem when the filament came to an end, I think there might be a jam.

[www.dropbox.com]
January 28, 2014 10:09AM
If that detached string is the bottom layer, it looks like you are still having problems with sticking. Try cleaning the bed off with rubbing alcohol if its PLA, or using ABS juice for ABS.

Btw, sweet username. I love Dr. Who.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 28, 2014 01:57PM
Are you using PLA or ABS? I find the purple glue stick works very well with PLA.
January 29, 2014 08:48AM
@GHM39--Thanks!!

Thanks everyone!

I lowered the nozzle, tightened the y-belt, and got a can of Garnier Nutrise and it's been working great!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login