Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My extruder keeps stripping the filament inside, WHY???

Posted by vetteguy112233 
My extruder keeps stripping the filament inside, WHY???
February 04, 2014 06:27PM
No matter what I try to print, it strips the filament inside the extruder and stops feeding it through. I can pause the print, and tell it to extrude 5mm, but nothing comes out. I have to reverse the filament and pull on the filament to get it to back out. I can see where the filament is being stripped/where it stopped feeding through.

I've had this problem for months now and have all but given up. I've got a Makerfarm, Prusa I3, 8", ABS, 3mm filament, .50 hot end, heated bed......Anyway, I thought maybe my filament was water logged from sitting out in the open for months, so I ordered new filament and today finally got around to opening it and trying to print. The filament is made by Folger Technologies and I've been through a rolls in the past without any issues.

Again, I thought maybe my filament was soft from being in the open air, but this new roll was vacuum sealed, with a desiccant pack.

Any suggestions?
Re: My extruder keeps stripping the filament inside, WHY???
February 04, 2014 06:51PM
I use slic3r and have 2 versions, I've tired both with the same exact results, the first layer doesn't even get down before the filament stops flowing.
February 04, 2014 06:52PM
I've also tried adjusting my spring tension on the two pressure screws. I've made it extra tight with same result, in the middle and backed almost all the way out. Nothing changes the outcome.
February 04, 2014 07:09PM
If you can't extrude by pushing the filament with slight pressure using your hand, then your hot end is either too cold or is defective. To do this, you should release the spring tension on the extruder (cold end) first.
February 04, 2014 07:23PM
I don't think it's the hot end is faulty. I have the temp probe and it always shows the tip is at 225C

So you are saying I should release the spring pressure as much as possible (when it fails to print) and then slightly push the filament and see if it moves? I'm pretty sure I've done this, but I'll try anything again to help rule out my problem.
February 04, 2014 07:24PM
I guess I could shoot it with my temp gun and see if it's actually 225C, maybe my sensor is faulty.

Could it be my power supply? How would I go about checking this?
February 04, 2014 07:26PM
What is weird is that after reversing the filament to clear the problem, cutting the stripped piece and extruding again, it extrudes perfectly as much or as long as I want, but as soon as I print, it fails.
February 04, 2014 07:51PM
Yes. Completely release the spring tension and push on the filament.

Perhaps you're printing too fast. How fast can you extrude manually using the host before the filament drive gear starts slipping? Are you sure you're not going faster than that in your slicer setting?
February 04, 2014 08:59PM
I've not changed anything in Slicer and have printed many things in the past without any problems. This last time when it began to fail, I turned the speed knob way down to 10% and it still wouldn't print.
February 04, 2014 09:02PM
Did you clean the plastic from the teeth on your filament drive gear after each time it digs into the feed?
February 04, 2014 09:59PM
I haven't....how do you do that?
February 04, 2014 10:53PM
Use a small pick to clean the teeth.
February 05, 2014 03:51AM
Toothbrush works well too. Compressed air is better if you have it handy.
February 05, 2014 09:21AM
I've got compressed air, should I just spray the whole point head or do I need to take it apart?
February 05, 2014 12:19PM
I don't know what a point head is but you need to see the teeth to make sure that it's clean. If not, it won't bite the feed

Hmm, sounds like a dentist. smiling smiley
February 06, 2014 01:12AM
I had the same problem on my reprap.cn printer.
Make sure that the way through the hot end has the same diameter.
I had a cavity at the inlet . The PFTE hose for the filament feed was not all the way in.
So when the hot end got hot, the heat traveled upward and the filament got compressed into this cavity.
February 06, 2014 08:47AM
sorry I meant "print head", but this morning I pulled everything apart there was lots of little plastic pieces and the hobbed bolt had some plastic wedged in the teeth so I cleaned all that out put it back together and there was absolutely no change at all.

As for the filament manufacturer, it's made by a company called Folgers incorporated. I've tried calling and emailing them about 15 times with no response. if this was my first roll from them I would think that maybe that's my problem but its not, I have gone through two or three rolls without any issues at all.

since colin (from makerfarm) is here in Salt Lake City, maybe I'll just go purchase a roll from him to see if that is my problem.

am I missing anything?
February 06, 2014 11:53AM
I asked this before, but if you can't push the filament through the hot end with light pressure using your hand, then you have a problem in your hot end. You said you tested this before, but you need to do this again. Your hot end may have gone bad.
February 06, 2014 02:51PM
I forgot, sorry. I'll try again tonight and see if I can get it to push through. this morning I extruded 30mm without any problems, so it seems like it only messes up shortly after I start the print, actually after the first layer. so should I try lightly forcing the filament through as its printing?
February 06, 2014 04:10PM
Hey,

Depending on how the hand extruded filament goes, if you don't have any issues with it, try extruding 5mm of filament at a time with the control panel, if it still performs flawlessly after a decent amount of extrusion, you can narrow the problem down to the gcode. It's possible you're trying to extrude too fast. Have you configured the extruder stepper in the firmware properly?

Jordan
February 06, 2014 08:51PM
I forgot, sorry. I'll try again tonight and see if I can get it to push through. this morning I extruded 30mm without any problems, so it seems like it only messes up shortly after I start the print, actually after the first layer. so should I try lightly forcing the filament through as its printing?
February 06, 2014 10:22PM
applying pressure to the filament didn't do any good.
February 06, 2014 10:29PM
Here are screenshots of my speed menu for the "Print" and "Printer" tabs in Slicer after loading my STL file. I always load my config file each time I open the program and I never change any of these settings. Maybe something, somehow was changed and got saved, but I highly doubt it. Do you guys see anything wrong with any of these settings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 10:33PM by vetteguy112233.
Attachments:
open | download - speed.jpg (93.1 KB)
open | download - speed2.jpg (84.6 KB)
February 06, 2014 10:37PM
Check Filament settings in Slic3r and make sure that the temperature for other layers isn't too low. Set it the same as the first layer temperature.
February 08, 2014 09:58AM
Vetteguy,
I've started having the same problem with the same setup, except I have the magma hot end with the 0.4mm nozzle. I think we have a blockage of some kind. I've noticed that there is ABS squeezing out between the extruder barrel and nozzle on my setup, which doesn't seem good. Anyone else experienced this?

Doc
February 08, 2014 04:10PM
I don't understand how if I have a blockage I can extrude manually all the plastic that I want and it works fine but when I start the print is only when it fails.
February 08, 2014 08:12PM
How fast are you able to extrude manually? By manually, do you mean using the host (Pronterface)?

You might want to take a photo of your filament drive gear and post it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 08:13PM by brnrd.
February 09, 2014 12:10AM
My filament drive gear has got a lot of wear, but wouldn't I see it slipping?
February 09, 2014 11:54AM
I just rechecked my gears and yes they are worn, but not worn out, there is still a very good mesh between them!
February 09, 2014 11:58AM
MatlsDoc
Vetteguy,
I've started having the same problem with the same setup, except I have the magma hot end with the 0.4mm nozzle. I think we have a blockage of some kind. I've noticed that there is ABS squeezing out between the extruder barrel and nozzle on my setup, which doesn't seem good. Anyone else experienced this?

Doc

I just noticed that I have the same thing. right where it goes from the black plastic cylinder to the brass nozzle? Mine has black ABS oozing out that I can see through the kapton tape.

What is the best way to clean this? Could it be the black cylinder starting to melt from the heat?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login