Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Part Measurements

Posted by Hypoon 
RepRap Part Measurements
January 02, 2010 12:20AM
Does anyone have any good ways to find the (exact) measurements from the RepRap's stl files? I'm planning on making my own pieces for my RepRap, but I don't know of any easy way to find their dimensions. Since it takes so many (41?) different parts to build one, I would love it if there was a resource documenting the necessary measurements.

For example, for the bed-springs I at least need to know the size of the hole and the total height in order to make one that would fit appropriately. Of course, the rest of the measurements wouldn't hurt anything (width, thickness, etc...).

If such measurements are not available, are there any recommendations for how to make substitute parts? I have precision equipment, but none of it is computer-controlled.

Thanks!
-Hypoon
Re: RepRap Part Measurements
January 02, 2010 01:19AM
I typically use the [y/Scripts/Manual/CAD/Caliper" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">wiki.blender.org] Caliper script for Blender to make my measurements.

Of course I once sliced meshes with Skeinforge Carve, then imported them into another program, then used AutoCAD and SolidWorks to extract proper dimensions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 01:23AM by Grogyan.
January 02, 2010 02:23AM
Hypoon,

Try
[objects.reprap.org]

There's a zip of pdfs there. (We need to render the pdfs as .png type image files (using image magick or pdftk?) and embed them in a series of pages. E.g. x_axis_belt_clamp.pdf is a pdf in the zip, we need x_axis_belt_clamp.png, and then either have Mendel/Drawings be one long image dump or have it be a list of pages like: Mendel/x_axis_belt_clamp)
January 16, 2010 01:32AM
They look beautiful, SebastienBailard, thanks a lot. That seems like precisely what I was looking for. Grogyan, I'll look into that more if the diagrams in the zip are not sufficient. I was trying similar things, but it just seemed like there had to be a better way to do it.

Edit: I just noticed that this is in the "Library Administration and Announcements" section. Did I start it here by mistake or was it moved?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 01:35AM by Hypoon.
January 16, 2010 01:48AM
Did I start it here by mistake or was it moved?

I moved it, because we need those files embedded in the pages, and as such, it seemed to be a library issue.

Hope it helps, have fun with it.
January 21, 2010 01:01PM
Hello
Have this list of parts in Edrawings format

Edrawings

JAGS

JAGS
DESIGN FOR A CHANGE!
January 21, 2010 07:55PM
Almost perfect, almost exactly what I need. I don't fully understand this statement, but it prevents me from using the (in this case) most useful part of this program.

http://files.solidworks.com/Supportfiles/Release_Notes_eDrawings/2010/English/readme.htm

eDrawings Measure. Measure is disabled for non-draft quality broken views.

Do you know how to get around this? The menu item is there, but it's disabled so that I cannot click it.

so close....

Thanks!
January 21, 2010 09:41PM
I will certainly have a re look at the files.. for measurements to load automatically..
May be i will create another set that contains all 2d drawing in edrawings format that should help ..
This allows you to view the component from all views and also is actual size.. so can be printed out for actual 1:1 Scale.
JAGS
January 21, 2010 10:19PM
I don't know much about edrawings, but it seems like a pretty cool program. It's quite possible that the problem exists between my ears, but I spent plenty of time and googling on it.

Not to be picky, but .png's or .svg's would be perfect for the wiki (no extra software required), if that's the kind of 2d you were talking about.

1:1 scale is very nice, as long as you have your printer set up correctly winking smiley. It'd be a shame for someone to realize that their printer wasn't set up right after making all their parts based on their printed templates >.< .

EDIT: Just did some playing around, I think the measurement feature being disabled is a bug in the mac version. The menu item is enabled at first, but if you shift focus to another window and go back, it's disabled. I'm looking into it more now.

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, it's a bug in the mac version (at least, Windows version is not tested), not your files.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 10:29PM by Hypoon.
January 22, 2010 03:02AM
Hello
It is more to do with the way the file is made or output from the original SW files.. The measurements gets greyed out which can be coming on only with the professional version. I will for a try post some 2D drawing file format and you can check to see if it helps.. Based on that the whole set can be converted.
Will provide the updates and answer
JAGS

JAGS
DESIGN FOR A CHANGE!
January 22, 2010 11:14AM
Actually, as long as I don't switch out of the window, I can take all the measurements fine. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 with eDrawings 2010 sp02 (10.2.0.122).

-Hypoon
January 28, 2010 02:37PM
To SebastienBailard
I just tried to use Inkscape to export PNG from PDF (file enclosed).
So, if you like it, I can produce more...

But, as a total beginner about CAD, 3D software I did some trial to make an "original" Mendel design with "Measurements".
  1. Tried Blender with Caliper script (best result from STL, but a lot of work).
  2. Tried Alibre Design (I have to design from scratch).
  3. Tried CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition 2.0
I found a Solid Edge pro software, but I can't open "academic" files... sad smiley
What about exporting PAR files in a "de facto" standard DXF or DWG format (maybe it's impossible, I don't know...).
I think it will be a lot easier for people like me, who want to try to build a RepStrap from original Mendel design.
I really want to start as soon as possible making a nice design for my
Mendel-PlexiRepStrap.

I know you are interested in Anime.
If you need some, feel fre to ask, I have tons of them (Chobits, Shaman King and so on). Now I'm interested in JDrama.. winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - corner_bracket_tooling_ball-exported.png (103.9 KB)
January 28, 2010 05:42PM
Thanks!

Want to tack it up at [[Mendel_parts_more_info]]?
[objects.reprap.org]
also, I think we have some files here
[objects.reprap.org]
which might have already done all your work for you, I'm afraid.

I just tried to use Inkscape to export PNG from PDF (file enclosed).

Try imagemagick (www.imagemagick.org) on the pdfs, maybe.

What about exporting PAR files in a "de facto" standard DXF or DWG format (maybe it's impossible, I don't know...).
Adrian's just an utter stick in the mud over what files he releases. I think Solid Edge can do it with one click. Maybe. He's currently not doing it, externalizing the work to you guys a little tiny bit. As is, we've got .blend files kicking around over in thingiverse that we should be stewarding on RepRap.org, etc.

Tell him you want those files.

Also, I was foolish to move this thread over to Library, since it is about Mendel Parts and files. I'll teleport it back now.

Regarding anime, etc., start a thread in General (marked OFF-Topic) or drop me an email. Also, weren't you working on generating renders from opencascade? Because that's a functionality that we really need with the mediawiki.
January 28, 2010 06:06PM
Sorry but I don't know anything about opencascade...
I'll ask Adrian about files.

Thanks from a very little "gnome". smiling smiley
February 11, 2010 11:23PM
I already got the trial edrawings software to view the components. Does any know how to pull up the exact values of the objects? All i can do is view the parts.

Is there anyone who can upload simple design of the mechanical parts with measurements in a pdf file? Measurements in some units.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login