Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to actually build a %%#&*$ mendel?

Posted by goinreverse 
How to actually build a %%#&*$ mendel?
January 10, 2010 11:53PM
I have spent the past 2 months working through the various sites, wiki's and documents and I have everything nailed down pretty well except how to make/get the mendel extruded parts. I am hoping someone who has actually built a mendel can confirm these:

Option 1: Get someone with a darwin/mendel to extrude all the parts for me. This is pretty much impossible because of the print time and demand tremendously exceeding supply so I am leaving this one out.

Option 2: Buy the cupcake from makerbot and print myself the parts. Can all of the mendel parts actually be made on a cupcake?

Option 3: Build a mcwire bot. Can the mcwire bot actually create all the mendel parts, there is no place I could find to confirm or deny this. There was no evidence that anyone has actually done this? How do you build/acquire the extruder head for the bot, I could not find a concise description of anyone actually building one?

Option 4: Mill my own parts on a regular milling machine. I am moderately competent with a milling machine, will something like the harbor freight 44991-8VGA allow me to mill the parts I need? Make them out of metal or plastic?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 11:58PM by goinreverse.
Re: How to actually build a %%#&*$ mendel?
January 11, 2010 12:24AM
Option 4: Mill my own parts on a regular milling machine. I am moderately competent with a milling machine, will something like the harbor freight 44991-8VGA allow me to mill the parts I need? Make them out of metal or plastic?
You can.

There's this:
[objects.reprap.org]
or
[objects.reprap.org]

I apologize that the documentation is scattered across 2 different wikis and so on. It's bit frustrating. To say nothing of the various forks and fork-like objects so on.

Regarding option 3, consider a MillStrap
[objects.reprap.org]
January 11, 2010 01:19AM
Easiest way in the US is to try to find someone who owns a Makerbot in working order, and try to barter access to their machine. Most of the owners are pretty friendly as long as you help them out with their machine.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 11, 2010 01:45AM
I have access to a 3 axis cnc which can be used on plywood/mdf/etc. It seems though that a lot of the parts couldn't be made on that because of 3-dimensional elements or thinkness/size issues?

What part diagrams could I work with, our CNC doesn't take stl files and I doubt I could redo all of them in our cnc software tools.
January 11, 2010 06:45AM
I'm making a mendel from wood. I've made some of the parts from hardwood (not sure what sort- there's many types in australia), of which there are plenty of scrap pieces here. So far it seems quite strong enough even with some of the more interesting dimensions. Just finished my X carriage, no photos of it just yet. Even the captured nuts are nice and firm. The rest of the parts are crappy pine, which also seems to hold things like captured nuts well enough, but isn't strong enough for things like the z bar top clamps.
Others have proceeded on the "Make it from wood", and still others have done the Mcguire RepStrap.

I started down the "make RP mendel parts from wood" and gave that up. I'm in the work of designing and creating a polar bot - the "RepolaRap", which initially will be a repstrapping device with the option to become a full (unofficial) reprap variant itself. I probably could have done the Mcguire RepStrap, but I think there may be other advantages to breaking ground in the polar bots, and if I can achieve two goals, one to get myself a repstrap, and two to prove out a working polar reprap design, all the better.

My prototype priorities consist of:

1. *All* structural parts easy to obtain from Mcmaster-Carr or local hardware/construction supply store.

- No RP parts ; Extruder itself may be exception (Triffid appears to have started and successfully done this in wood, so exception may not needed.)

2. All tools to build should be purchasable from local hardware, or from computer store.

- My current toolset is a scroll saw, power hand drill + bits, and assorted tools one would expect in a toolbox (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.). Could replace scroll saw with coping saw with patience and slow careful cutting.

- I depend on a printer to print out templates that I glue to the MDF to cut it out.

- I will depend on a printer to print out an encoder wheel to measure and adjust for expected slipping and backlash.

3. Able to print parts that can be used to construct a Mendel.

- This could involve an iterative bootstrap where you replace existing wooden parts with first generation printed parts to get higher tolerances or reliability. This would also lead the way to a true RepRap device, as these parts then become the RP parts needed to build a second generation machine.

So far, the monetary costs for XY structural components haven't been bad. MDF is cheap (I've spent about $20 so far). The belts, pulleys, and bearings were pretty cheap ($30 or so so far). I'll need a few more electronic components than mendel (I'll be using reflective optical encoders since I don't trust platforms to not have slip/backlash -- [www.pololu.com] looks pretty good.)

I've still got to figure out what to do about the Z platform; but if I can get an usable XY I think the Z can either use a McGuire arangement, or even go crazy on that one and create a counterbalanced radial swing arm there too. smiling smiley
January 15, 2010 10:45PM
I have just started using FreeMill from Mecsoft to machine my parts on a 3 axis cnc. I have had to take some of the holes out to be drilled by hand and split other components into two or three pieces. I am avoiding multiple programs for the parts at all costs, so far I have at least two that will require 2 sided milling and a fixture. I am trying to use 17mm pvc foam (Sintra or Celltec) for all of the pieces. Completed 6 parts today with a total cycle time of about 1.5 hours, but they were the larger pieces of the x-axis. Good Luck!

-J
Joshua
January 16, 2010 03:24AM
I had the same dilemma when I got started. I eventually decided that by far the best path is buying a cupcake and using it to print mendel parts.

You might think that once you have a cupcake, it does everything you need already and why would you need a mendel. However, I think the mendel is a better design, has a larger build area, is stronger and more durable. So the ultimate aim is to build that machine.

I had investigated different repstrap ideas, such as machining from wood, metal or plastic but at least half the battle is the electronics which I would always have ordered from makerbot anyway.

So now I have all the electronics, the motors and a machine to print mendel parts. Which only leaves basic hardware to get to a working mendel.
February 10, 2010 07:04AM
I am stuck with the same problem: getting the printed parts of Mendel.

Joshua, since you have a cupcake, would you be so kind to use it for printing mendel parts for other users? I am (very) willing to pay the costs of raw material, time and postage if you do so (plus a tip, of course).

By the way, how long does it take to print a set of mendel parts?
Re: How to actually build a %%#&*$ mendel? - ebay
February 10, 2010 09:41AM
goinreverse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have spent the past 2 months working through the
> various sites, wiki's and documents and I have
> everything nailed down pretty well except how to
> make/get the mendel extruded parts. I am hoping
> someone who has actually built a mendel can
> confirm these:
>
> Option 1: Get someone with a darwin/mendel to
> extrude all the parts for me. This is pretty much
> impossible because of the print time and demand
> tremendously exceeding supply so I am leaving this
> one out.

I´m doing it at the moment and have an auction running
for the parts.

[cgi.ebay.de]

>
> Option 2: Buy the cupcake from makerbot and print
> myself the parts. Can all of the mendel parts
> actually be made on a cupcake?

yes. All the printed parts anyway.

Marcus

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
February 11, 2010 08:56AM
MarcusWolschon Wrote:
> I´m doing it at the moment and have an auction
> running
> for the parts.

I don't think that using ebay will help developing a community.
February 11, 2010 03:24PM
Lionel Wrote:

> I don't think that using ebay will help developing
> a community.

goinreverse did not ask about building a community
but about getting the parts he needs.
If you want to discuss another topic, start a thread for it.

"I have spent the past 2 months working through the various sites, wiki's and documents and I have everything nailed down pretty well except how to make/get the mendel extruded parts."

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
February 13, 2010 07:01PM
Just found out about Mendel and have the same dilema on how to start with no parts. Too bad some you couldn't duct tape it together long enough to print out your first set of parts. LOL
why not make it easy for yourself. i have instruction videos I'm posting on building a catalyst mendel.

here is one video, that shows an extruder, use it to find my other videos.

James
February 17, 2010 10:26AM
James,

Do you have the link or address to the video?

Thanks!

Scott
February 17, 2010 03:00PM
sasharp65 Wrote:
> Do you have the link or address to the video?

See this thread.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
sure. here are videos so far on youtube
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

and a video on extruders
[www.youtube.com]

February 19, 2010 02:25AM
James;

Those are Nice videos. One detail. WD-40 contains a silicon carbide abrasive. WD-40 was designed for displacing water in frozen locks. It is not oil! On non moving parts WD-40 is great, as it displaces the water and keeps the parts from rusting. Think of WD-40 as liquid sandpaper.

I repair clocks, WD-40 is the worst thing to use, Sure things run smooth, then the carbide particles bind into the metal. This makes the turning part into a rotary file, Soon the bearing cuts a nice grove and stops turning.

Lubrication of the ground steel parts should be with a fine oil, such as used for sewing machines. If you can see the oil there is too much.
-julie
February 19, 2010 03:06AM
Agreed, Remington oil is a great substitute.

Remington oil can be found at ALL gun shops, and in Walmart.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Thanks I'll switch The instructions. I've only used wd40 iN the past on metal parts in past. I'll recommend 3 in one oil for loobing the rods. Thx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login