Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

measurements for repstrapping a Mendel?

Posted by xuinkrbin. 
measurements for repstrapping a Mendel?
January 17, 2010 10:44AM
Hi,
I don't know if this is posted in the right forum for this question but I thought I would take a try here anyhow. (My apologies in advance if this is not the right place.)

I'm trying to repstrap a Mendel and was thinking of making the parts which need reprapping from plywood, mdf, acrylic, etc., not too unlike the PlyRap project. Can Anyone point Me towards measurements for the various typically reprapped parts? In *.pdf, *.jpeg, *.svg, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Re: measurements for repstrapping a Mendel?
January 17, 2010 12:19PM
The way I started when I tried this path was to load the STL files into blender.

You can then get exact measurements from the models; (STL unit is mm.)

If you do screen shot captures with grid visible, you can also tweak in a paint program to set the print resolution based on that grid, and print a copy to attach to wood as a template. The frame vertex pieces were trivial to do this way. I didn't start hitting problems until I tried to do the X carriage.
January 17, 2010 04:31PM
[rab3d.com] has a blender precision modelling tutorial which tells you how to get perfect to-scale print-outs of any part. I've also discovered a caliper tool for blender.

You can find plenty of pre-prepared prints and photos of the pieces I've made to date on my blog at [wooden-mendel.blogspot.com]
January 18, 2010 07:45AM
Triffid: Where is this caliper tool for Blender?
January 18, 2010 07:45PM
January 19, 2010 01:09AM
Triffid_Hunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [y/Sc" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">wiki.blender.org]
> ripts/CAD/Caliper

If you have Blender 2.49, then you already have it, just make one window a scripts window and select it from one of the drop down menus
January 19, 2010 01:59AM
We've got a stub here:
[objects.reprap.org]

Any one want to work on it?

Also, triffid hunter, you're welcome to dump your entire gallery into it if you'd like, although TheOtherRob and I really need to sort out the upload stuff so that it's less work for you.
January 19, 2010 09:37AM
@SebastienBailard: Are these *.pdf's to scale?
January 20, 2010 05:42AM
I sat down and converted all the files to e-drawing format and they carry the same name of the original files but with a extra alphabet A added. If any one wants them we can post it to the web pages for download.
The e drawings viewer is a free utility available for download from here
[www.edrawingsviewer.com]

The complete set contains the main module with 41 drawings. all dimensions are in metric-mm. All drawings were recreated in solid works and exported as epart files.
We are also making available the assembly soon.
You can directly print from the viewer and check the parts and analyse.
I feel some of the components need a little bit work to improve and these modified files after we test them will also be provided.
Thanks
JAGS

JAGS
DESIGN FOR A CHANGE!
January 20, 2010 05:53AM
We'll take it! Everything. Including the SolidWorks.

I've emailed the devteam. Someone might parachute in and sort it out.
January 20, 2010 10:29AM
@JAGS: Yes, please do!
January 21, 2010 04:09AM
Hello
I have set up the wiki pages for the same here

Just try a few files to see if they are fine and i can make the changes and upload all the items.. There are many files and also need to be provided as easy to open files..In case any file is fault send a PM.
Edrawings format
I await the comments. Please note I am still working on the page..
Thanks

JAGS
January 25, 2010 09:39AM
I've been trying out the eDrawings files and, just for the record, the official viewer for mac seems rather fault prone. (The files You've put up, JAGS, seem great. Thanks! I just need the viewer to do what it's supposed to.) For example, I can temporarily activate the measurement feature but as soon as I try to measure something it stops letting Me do so. I can see the picture until I try to zoom in or out and then it's gone.

In short, the eDrawings are a great idea but being able to use them is something else. Just a metaphorical 'heads up'. (And, yes, I will let the People behind eDrawings know so They can fix the problems.)
February 10, 2010 10:30AM
I'm working on SolidEdge par files, converting to dxf format and adding "measurements".
At first tried only with "vertex".
Tell me if it can be interesting for "repstrapper".

See http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/Mendel/Drawings
How about sharing the original solidworks files?

Thanks,

Ron Thompson
March 23, 2010 06:22PM
I installed the solidworks edrawing software (windows vista) and I can view the files just fine. The main problem is that I can not do any measurements, i.e. I can not see the size of the objects. From the solidworks webpages I found this:

------------------
Export Options
Select from these export options, which are available depending on the type of file you are saving:

Save with shaded data. For drawings only. Saves the shaded data from the drawing document in the published eDrawings file.

Allow STL Export. Allows the recipient of the eDrawings file to export it as an STL file. See also Saving Files as STL Files.

Enable measure. Enables measurement by SolidWorks eDrawings Professional users and by all eDrawings users if the file is review-enabled.

-------------------

So where the files enabled with measurements during the export and is the file review-enabled? I appears that is the only way to get measurements visible.
March 23, 2010 08:02PM
Solidworks files are here
[objects.reprap.org]

I translated the files from the para files for my own design use. They are in Solidworks 2010
March 26, 2010 05:14PM
Just added some files dxf and dwg format, after one week of holiday, i'll continue to post. Take a look: [www.reprap.org]
March 26, 2010 08:44PM
Thank you for this effort, I am sure it's helping.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
March 27, 2010 11:58AM
Thank you for this effort, I am sure it's helping.

I'm sure it will. This is one of those basic infrastructure things that isn't really sexy, (like a good extruder with good photos), but has huge dividends.

Thanks, tombo9999. smiling smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 29, 2010 12:37PM
The ability of the Edrawings viewer to view measurements is dependent on how the file is saved when it is created. we should be able to view measurements in the EPRT format but the files may have to be created again. I have been looking at the edrawings viewer and found the following information regarding mesurements:

Measurements

The ability to measure in eDrawings requires two things:

1)The file must be measure-enabled (this is a document property)
2)The eDrawings viewer must have a Pro license
a)This Pro license is inherent in eDrawings Professional
b)A Pro license can also be conveyed inside the file
c)A Pro license can be checked out from a SolidNetwork License (SNL) server

The Measure Enabled icon (I.E. the measuring tape) on the eDrawings status bar indicates the document property.

The Review Enabled icon (I.E. the pencil) on the eDrawings status bar indicates the presence of a Pro license.

The Measure tool will be enabled only if the file is measure-enabled (the document property), and a Pro license is present (as described above). In other words, the Review Enabled and Measure Enabled icons must both be shown before the Measure tool can be used.

Conveying a Pro License in a File

If a file originated from SolidWorks Professional or SolidWorks Premium (2006 SP5 or later), it automatically has an embedded Pro license (in other words, it is review-enabled). This is true for native SolidWorks files as well as published eDrawings files.
If a file is saved from eDrawings Professional, it gets an embedded Pro license.

Opening a file with an embedded Pro license effectively transforms the free eDrawings viewer into eDrawings Professional (while that file is open).
Note that a measure-enabled, non-Pro-licensed eDrawings file can be:

1.)Opened in the free eDrawings viewer and be un-measurable (because no Pro license present)
a)The Review Disabled and Measure Enabled icons will be shown in the status bar

2)Saved from the free eDrawings viewer, as a measure-enabled file (I.E. select the Enable measure checkbox on the Save As dialog)

3)Later opened with eDrawings Professional and be measurable.

Any chance of getting the EPRT files recreated in this fashion so we can view the measurements? Or is the problem that there are not any measurements on the EPRT files to start with?

Kevin

Always use the right tool for the job, and the right tool for every job is a hammer.
Note - the above is not true but some days it feels like it's true.

[kevins3dprinter.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login