Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heatbed Directly to PSU

Posted by wacoe96 
Heatbed Directly to PSU
June 11, 2014 01:47PM
I have everything ready except my heatbed. When I tried last night to heat it through the onboard Sanguinololu (1.3a) heatbed connectors I gave myself a pretty nasty burn. I'm using ABS so I need the heatbed. I've seen online that you can hook the heatbed PCB directly to the PSU and it will regulate itself, can anyone confirm this or offer another method?

Using:
Prusa i2 w/Sprinter on Sanguinololu 1.3a.
30w PSU

Thanks
Re: Heatbed Directly to PSU
June 11, 2014 02:38PM
The heatbed won't regulate itself. It has to be connected correctly to the Sanguinolulu. If you touch the heatbed when it is operating correctly for ABS then you will can get a burn as it is hot!
You can cook your eggs for breakfast on it if a bit slowly.
You say that you are using a 30 watt power supply ??? That is totally inadequate and will burn out in a hurry.
June 11, 2014 02:41PM
1) Meant to say 30A (12v)
2) What gauge wire/how to most people wire the bed to the board since the crimps are too small to fit a 10/12 gauge wire?
June 11, 2014 03:44PM
If you use a stranded wire then just clip off enough strands close to the board so that it will fit.
June 11, 2014 05:00PM
Also just curious what does the normal heatbed actually draw?
June 12, 2014 05:19AM
Around 12 amps maximum. A bit less when warmed up.
June 12, 2014 03:18PM
So this morning I tried wiring the heatbed to the Sanguinolulu using both crimps and directly attaching the wires. Both times the Vreg began to overheat after about 10 seconds and I had to kill the power. I'm using 14 gauge wire which should be sufficient to handle 12A. Any ideas?
Is there a way to reduce the current to the bed in the firmware, and just increased the time that it takes to warm?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 03:21PM by wacoe96.
June 12, 2014 04:35PM
I've created a new thread after realizing a few problems that are inherent to my setup. Here
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login