Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel Thick Sheet

Posted by spacexula 
Mendel Thick Sheet
February 27, 2010 11:23AM
Since I am in the US, I need to choose between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch Thick sheet. BOM says anything between 4-6mm will do. Well 1/4 inch is almost 6mm, and 1/8 is almost 4. Can I get away with 1/8 inch plexy or hard board? It cuts the cost in half.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Re: Mendel Thick Sheet
February 28, 2010 12:29PM
Just Friday I went to Home Depot and bought a 2X4' sheet of 1/4" MDF. Took to a friend's house and he laser cut it. The sheet was < $6. Not sure if this helps...
February 28, 2010 02:19PM
I know 1/4 will work, I was wondering if 1/8 would would also work. It's JUST below the 4mm minimum

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
February 28, 2010 07:57PM
FWIW, I went with 1/2" MDF with countersunk mounting holes. The 1/4" that I saw was bowed and I wanted to make sure my print bed was flat. I'd be concerned with 1/8" being flat and staying that way.

Let us know what you choose and how it works out. smiling smiley

Rob
March 12, 2010 08:45PM
I am using 0.25" Hardboard (high-density fiberboard) and it works well. I wanted to use the thicker board because I didn't want it to sag or bow. It is pretty cheap and pretty easy to work with. I used my cnc mill to cut out the parts, as they require quite a bit of work to make all the cuts and drill all the holes. I am so glad I built that mill first.

Josh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login