Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will 5/16 stud work?

Posted by Mdbaughman2 
Will 5/16 stud work?
March 12, 2010 05:10PM
I found 5/16-24 by 6ft zink plated stud at McMaster-Carr for $6.29 ea. I see there are a few people building Mendel's with 5/16; Is there anybody that has a working Mendel using 5/16? I'm eager for your opinions experiences and differences on how 5/16 is working out... thanks MB.

oh also what about 5/16 bar?

I would assume that i still need M8 stud for the z screw... correct?

here is the part number for what i found...

98915A030

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 06:32PM by Mdbaughman2.
Re: Will 5/16 stud work?
March 12, 2010 07:47PM
While I don't have 5/16" threaded on any of the 4 Mendels which we are building. However I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Unfortunately, in the US we refuse to change to metric, so they tend to cost more.

If you want you could use 5/16" for the z-screw, you just have to make sure you use a matching nut. The way the z axis works is by capturing a regular nut inside two printed parts. So you should be able to use 5/16" if you want.

I plan on replacing the z-screw with acme thread instead of v-thread. But that is just me.

We are using 5/16" bar and that is working perfectly fine. We choose to use those because they were cheaper and available locally. Honestly we would have used metric if we had the patience, but we wanted to play with the bearings the same day we printed them. The printed parts have quite a bit of adjustment built into them, which I love.

Josh
March 12, 2010 07:51PM
There is less that 3 thousands difference between the two, you'll have no problems.

I've tried all the mendel clamps with both 8mm and 5/16 threaded and smooth and the provide enough clamping. In the off case where they are a bit loose, a guite rap of thin tape will take care of it.

There is more than enough clamping in the bearing designs to take bite as well.

The real fun is in the 3mm and 4mm sized hardware equivalents.
March 12, 2010 08:12PM
I have no idea what a "guite rap of thin tape" is eye rolling smiley

If you find the fit isn't tight enough just and a thin wrap of tape.smileys with beer
March 12, 2010 09:25PM
Hey everybody THANKS for the great info!!!

A question about the z.... ok lets go acme.... i was looking at acme nuts and was wondering what is the diameter of the hole the nut rests it? is it hex? i'm asking because supplier lists the out side diameter of the nut....smileys with beer thanx !!!
March 13, 2010 04:43AM
The nut that the brackets is designed for is a standard nut for M8 thread. (I think its M8. Its late and I dont want to look up what the threaded rod is for frame.) I am not sure if you will be able to swap it out for an acme thread nut. The acme nuts are usually much larger because they are meant to be bolted to something. I am planning on documenting a modification to the z-axis after we get all five Mendels running. You might need to bolt it to the top or bottom of the bracket and drill the appropriate holes. Or modify the 3d model to have the extra holes.

If you do get it working, take some photos and post them. This is my first modification, because using v-thread rod for linear motion makes me feel like a bad engineer. Honestly you are using v-thread in a manner its not designed for, but on the other hand it works decently. Personally I can't hang my degree on my wall, and use v-thread like that.

Josh
March 13, 2010 04:49AM
jupdyke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally I can't hang my degree on my wall,
> and use v-thread like that.

Then take it down, throw it in a cardboard box and
store it in the basement like everyone else! smiling bouncing smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 13, 2010 06:20PM
But it looks so pretty on the wall.smiling smiley

Josh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login