Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help please Mendel RAMPS firmware

Posted by tommo5600 
Help please Mendel RAMPS firmware
August 14, 2014 02:31PM
So i bought my first 3D printer a RepRapPro Mendel from ebay, it was a kit that was partly built very poorly i'll add. ripped it all apart and rebuilt it from scratch having to reprint some parts on my buddy's print as they were damaged in the post.
I finished the build but had massive issues connecting to the Melzi board it would work at time and then just stop and hang, after two weeks of messing around with it i decided it was bust and get a RAMPS 1.4 I have connected it all up and my connection is now stable and responds for the most part.

My problem now is that when i try to drive my motors they only seem to either move in one direction(my x axis) or only a small amount (my z Axis) also they will not home and i don't think my limit switches are working correctly.
attached is a picture of my setup and my config.h file that i have probably ruined!

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP I'M USING ARDUINO 0023 WITH THE FIRMWARE FROM THE RAMPS WIKI SITE. SOMEONE MUST BE RUNNING THE SAME SETUP AS ME?

got a robot i want to print sooo bad!
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (32.3 KB)
open | download - photo (1).JPG (164.6 KB)
Re: Help please Mendel RAMPS firmware
August 14, 2014 05:55PM
Im in the process of building a prusa 2 with what looks like the same ramps kit.

Ive had a lot of problems with the plugs i made up to go on the pins on the ramps board.
I used dupont housings with properly crimped wires.
They dont seem to make a very good positive lock on the pins.
Ive found myself having to use some long nose pliers to push individual wires and crimped connecters home in
each plug housing to get them to make a tight fit on to the individual pins.

I kept getting similar results as you but in making sure the individualy crimped wires are pushed fully home it improved.
Until i carried the printer to a makerspace meet up and had to do it again.
Im thinking of a touch of super glue to make sure the pin connectors properly stay in place in the housings so they go all the wsy home on the pins.

They really should have proper locking connectors on those boards.

Gordon
August 15, 2014 05:02AM
Use a different firmware. There's no need to stick with what some vendor supplied years ago.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 15, 2014 05:53AM
yes thats fine but which?
August 15, 2014 12:43PM
I am fairly new to 3D printers myself but recently finished an Prusa i3 build....

The motors will probably only go in 1 direction until they know their home position, so you need to get the end stops working/configured.

With your Configuration.h file:

the end stop switch logic is defined as true - so that means your switch is normally open and closes when it's hit, test the wiring with a meter to make sure.
e.g. - const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; (using the X Min as an example, the rest are also true)

You have defined the home direction as minimum
e.g. #define X_HOME_DIR -1 (the Y and Z are also set to MIN)
So on your RAMPS board you need the end stop wiring to goto the MIN jumpers and also use the S and - pins and not the + pin

If you find the motors are homing in the wrong direction then change the Configuration.h file for that axis and change the jumper position on the RAMPS board

You may need to adjust the driver pot to get a motor to move.

You can find my i3 build notes which shows the similar steps we took to get our i3 working here:
[www.instructables.com]
Even though it's not the same model as yours the logic is still the same.

Steve
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS.jpg (129.2 KB)
open | download - RAMPS-MAX.jpg (129.6 KB)
August 15, 2014 04:12PM
Steve thanks for the help i'll try it out monday night.

thanks again
August 19, 2014 03:40AM
so i'm printing thanks to Steve!

my prints are coming out a bit rough but i'm sure i can get that sorted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login