Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Most current set of Mendel Parts

Posted by lunchtrayrider 
Most current set of Mendel Parts
March 29, 2010 08:42PM
I downloaded the set of parts referenced in the wiki

[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

Are these the most current parts? I don't want to offend anyone with this post, sorry if it is duplicated etc, but i'm going to send the stl's off to the fdm printer and want to make sure that 95%+ are going to come out right.

Also is there a running thread that tracks model file updates?

-aaron
Re: Most current set of Mendel Parts
March 29, 2010 09:48PM
That's the "official" set. There have been some updates that are not official, but do work on Thingiverse

The set that's on the Wiki is %100 certified.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
March 30, 2010 12:32AM
Cool. I saw your parts on thingiverse. I am okay with small amounts of redoing. but I don't want to have to redo half or something crazy. I calculated from the wiki that there is approximately 560cc of built components. or 34.17 cubic inches. can you verify this as true?
March 30, 2010 01:21AM
One thing is, those parts probably will have teardrop shaped holes. If you're using a commercial machine, there's no real reason to make them that way...
March 30, 2010 08:09AM
Well, there are a few good reasons:

-Tear drop uses slightly less plastic, makes a difference when you are paying per ounce.

-Redesign of all the parts is going to be hours worth of work, for no real gain.

-They look cool

March 30, 2010 08:44AM
When you print tear drops on a commercial FDM machine it fills them with support material, so I expect you pay for that instead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 30, 2010 02:01PM
Ugg, really?

Nevermind didn't know that.

Has anyone already modded the files for a FDM?

March 30, 2010 06:31PM
The places that I looked at do not charge for support material, only for the volume of plastic. I can not remember which one it was, but they stated that if you create a hollow space with no opening to the outside, the support material would remain in the void. I contemplated designing a hollow box and having them print it, just so I could see what they use for support.

Buzz
TC
March 30, 2010 11:49PM
We have such a machine at work. The machine vendor won't disclose the type of plastic used for support material. It is fairly brittle and not too difficult to break away from the printed part (which is ABS).

TC
March 31, 2010 08:17AM
Just FYI, unless the place with the FDM is cleaning up the parts for you (and if you're getting a deal, they're probably not), you'll need to do that yourself.

The support material used by a Stratasys FDM machine is something similar to PLA. To dissolve it, you soak the parts in a bath of warm water and lye for at least a few hours. I just left mine in overnight. If you're in the US, you can pick up lye at Lowe's in the form of Roebik's Drain Cleaner in the plumbing section. It's 100% lye and does the job nicely. I used a plastic tub, filled it with warm water and some of the drain cleaner, and let it sit overnight. You'll still have to use a screwdriver or similar tool to pick out the little bits that didn't dissolve all the way but it shouldn't take more than an hour or so. The shop that FDM'ed my set of Mendel parts has an immersion circulator that they use for the same purpose. They say it takes only a few hours that way. I'm guessing it's because the water keeps moving around and stays warm the whole time.

Good luck with your parts. smiling smiley

Rob.
April 01, 2010 03:30PM
i'll let you know how they turn out. it will be a couple of weeks before the parts make it through the queue.
April 13, 2010 01:07AM
fyi, the mendel set is closer to 68 cubic inches or somewhere around there....The wiki listing is wrong but i know somewhere else the correct volume is listed.
April 14, 2010 01:59AM
spacexula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the "official" set. There have been some
> updates that are not official, but do work on
> Thingiverse
>
> The set that's on the Wiki is %100 certified.

I offered to and tried to collect all thes improvements
to get them back into SVN (The Reprap-project is suffering
from HUGE forking issues and is in my oppinion highly undermaintained)

But I could not complete that task as next to the STL also AOI-files
where wanted for the SVN and AOI is just crap that noone seems to use
for enhanced (based on STL) or redesigned (in one or another solid modeller) parts.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
May 14, 2010 09:24AM
Sorry if I am a little off-topic, I downloaded some stl parts from the repository, like [reprap.svn.sourceforge.net] and I noticed that it has 2388 vertices but after an operation of "remove doubles" in blender the vertices go down to 384.

I think that there are some wrong vertices too, they are not really duplicate but they are really near and I can't understand why they are there, maybe if you remove them you can have problems when slicing the model in skeinforge?

The same for another part that I downloaded, I think that they all have a lot of duplicated vertices.

If I open them in aoi and export them in obj and then import the obj in blender the vertices are 384 from the start, without duplicates, I don't know how to count vertices in aoi. I think that there is some sort of export problem, how were they exported? I can't find an "export to stl" in aoi.

If I export from aoi to obj and then import in blender and export from blender to stl I have a piece with the right number of vertices, the same if I import the stl in blender, I "remove doubles" in blender and then export in stl again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 09:28AM by Autarkyboy.
May 14, 2010 11:17AM
I think the bug is in the Blender STL import.

The export STL is a plugin for AOI but it doesn't create duplicates

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 19, 2010 04:11AM
the parts off the stratasys were pretty nice. surprisingly not perfectly flat, and the machine was actually fairly unreliable. and took forever for builds. but the quality was good. Not impressed, i think stratasys should be worried about repraps.

-aaron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login