Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding external links to RepRap manual wiki pages

Posted by casainho 
Adding external links to RepRap manual wiki pages
March 31, 2010 05:40AM
This is a question. I would like to add a link to NopHead blog message about his Mendel build, because he shares a lot of details of Mendel build.

If add this link is a good idea, I would like to know were to add it. At end of the Manual? at begin? were?

I think is best to use links on wiki page and not try to copy the information to there, simply because we can't, it's a lot of information!

But the true is that to much information can confuse users... like the NopHead message have a lot of information from his specific electronics and firmware, which may confuse new users...

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

[www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]
Re: Adding external links to RepRap manual wiki pages
March 31, 2010 07:02AM
The article should be broken up and the relevant bits inserted at the appropriate places. E.g. cutting bars, squashing frogs, etc. I will try and do that soon. I have to find a way of making PDFs from Visio first.

I am not sure about the snags, maybe a new page. I would like to just fix them but I have no way of editing the models and I haven't really resolved why my x-axis has too big a gap. Other people push the rods to meet the washers, giving a 5mm gap, but that does not agree with the model.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 31, 2010 07:10AM
Another issue is that I discussed some of the issues with Adrian and he didn't agree with my diagnosis, so they probably shouldn't make it to the wiki. Better left in a dissident blog!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 07:11AM by nophead.

March 31, 2010 07:47AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another issue is that I discussed some of the
> issues with Adrian and he didn't agree with my
> diagnosis, so they probably shouldn't make it to
> the wiki. Better left in a dissident blog!

But you mean your text and images? but is good or not to put a link on wiki?

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

March 31, 2010 08:17AM
nophead, have you tried PDFCreator? It a FOSS PDF generator that you can print to from any application, including Visio. I use it daily and it is very easy and transparent. Can't say how well it works with large paper sizes though.
March 31, 2010 09:03AM
casainho,
Well I like links to my blog because they earn me money but Sebastian prefers content copied in.

When it is information directly relevant to a "vanilla" Mendel then it should be in the wiki. My view when it is a deviation, like my "no compromise" extruder then it is best done as a link, because although of interest, it is not suitable for Darwin or Mendel.

bfleming,
Thanks I will give that a try.

March 31, 2010 09:41AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> casainho,
> Well I like links to my blog because they earn me
> money but Sebastian prefers content copied in.

I see no problem on that if he do that and have authorization from you.

I would just put a link, I don't have time the rewrite/upload pictures and I am bad in English language.

> When it is information directly relevant to a
> "vanilla" Mendel then it should be in the wiki. My
> view when it is a deviation, like my "no
> compromise" extruder then it is best done as a
> link, because although of interest, it is not
> suitable for Darwin or Mendel.

I think that same and yes, your Mendel have a few things different from original. But users can still learn a lot from looking at the pictures. Mendel Manual is very poor in pictures and details of mechanical assembly - that's a difficult I am having while trying to assembly my Mendel.

---

March 31, 2010 02:32PM
I see no problem on that if he do that and have authorization from you.

Unfortunately, while I believe that nophead's work is extremely important, I also believe that it is the responsibility of the developer to upload their own documentation.

When each of the the 10,000 reprap developers chooses to use a blog rather than also mirroring in the wiki, we tend to have less "stuff" in the wiki than we would like.
[en.wikipedia.org]

In the last three months I have spent some time encouraging many people to create wiki pages, and rather a lot of them have done so. After which point I've been careful to say thank you.

We've gotten quite a lot of documentation out of it, and this is documentation we can cross-link and improve. Or evolve. Unlike blog pages.

At the same time, I'm going to build social networking into the wiki pages, along with adding a blogging extension. I want other people to also be able to say thank you on a wiki page when a person chooses to document there.

Happily we recently unforked our documentation from twiki+mediawiki to pure mediawiki, so now you and I and everyone else can start to organize it. smiling smiley

This means we won't expect our new-to-reprap users to find google to find everything. I suspect many new users don't realize that RepRap's current favorite documentation and files system is a mix of blogs and thingiverse.com.

Regarding the blogs: those are reasonable, that's human nesting behavior, the desire to tell a narrative, and people just using their blogs because everyone in the forum says "that's sounds cool, you should blog it." smiling smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 01, 2010 12:13AM
Is it possible to create a RSS feed for updates to the wiki?

I personally like the blog format because it lets me keep up with the newest work being done. If they had updated the wiki, and not blogged about it, I would not know about Nophead or Forrest higgs work.

There needs to be a balance between "what's new" and preserving for posterity.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
April 01, 2010 08:57AM
There's Recent Changes:

[reprap.org]

(My home page) This is the raw feed. smiling smiley

We're going to bolt on blogging software into the wiki for people who care to use it.

Beyond that, we'll exploit benign social networking principles and mediawiki extensions to help the more interesting stuff 'bubble up' into view.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login