Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel Extruder Head Temperature Sensor

Posted by rusdp 
Mendel Extruder Head Temperature Sensor
April 04, 2010 01:31PM
Hey guys. I am trying to figure out what temperature sensor I should get for the Mendel Extruder head. It seems as though the Mendel Extruder head (from the extruder docoument page for the Mendel instructions) uses the Thermistor, but the Darwin/Thermoplast Extruder document uses a Thermocouple.

1. I understand that thermocouples are cheaper, and their max temperature range is approximatley 300 C. Is it correct that for the Mendel extruder head, the temperature should be below this? If this is true, I will just go with the thermistor.

2. For the Mendel extruder head, is there a temperature sensor board that the device connects to? I didn't read anything about a board on the Mendel extruder head document page (http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_extruder) about this. Also, if there is one, where does it go on the Mendel?

3. Any recommendations on where to get the thermistor or thermocouple?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

- rusdp
Re: Mendel Extruder Head Temperature Sensor
April 04, 2010 04:29PM
The default "Generation 3" electronics connect the extruder temperature sensor thermistor through the Extruder Controller. See: [reprap.org]

If you wish to use a thermocouple you will need the optional Thermocouple Sensor 1.0 board: [reprap.org]
April 04, 2010 05:35PM
So, would the 100K thermistor from Makerbot Store work?

[store.makerbot.com]

Thanks.

-rusdp
April 04, 2010 05:35PM
Yes, that thermistor, will work just fine.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login