Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Samuel - A variation on the Mendel

Posted by silpstream 
Re: RepRap Samuel - A variation on the Mendel
September 12, 2017 08:10PM
here it is. the spool holder is just a few pieces of irrigation tubing and elbows I had sitting nearby for a temporary solution, though it's working really well so who knows. I used the same wades extruder I used on my larger one since I had a wades on the mendel the parts were already there.

My first benchy is pretty ugly but considering it worked straight away I'm not complaining.

September 13, 2017 06:07AM
@mcmasterp, Looks great! You're even using the melzi on this one. I do like that spool holder. Does it create extra wobbling being mounted up there on top?
September 18, 2017 08:57PM
well I haven't used it too much yet but the tubing is thin and its just stuck down on two 8mm nuts so its not firm, that seems to help it not add wobble
September 20, 2017 11:52PM
Hey Im trying to hook up an lcd to the Melzi but I realize I need to update the Marlin firmware to enable it. Any ideas on how to update it? I'm not sure if I can use latest Marlin 1.1.5 on my Melzi 1.0 board. Also I couldn't find a Melzi or sanguino board in arduino idea boards manager. I know it's a long shot to ask but I figure I'd try
September 21, 2017 05:29PM
Take a look for ramps 1.4 assembly guide It might help
September 21, 2017 05:30PM
anyone have experience using direct drive extruder with 3mm pla?

does the average stepper have enough torque to push the filament thru
with out some gearing?
September 21, 2017 08:58PM
@mcmasterp, running marlin 1.1.5 should not be an issue. I checked the boards.h file and you will find it defined as:
#define BOARD_MELZI             63   // Melzi
#define BOARD_MELZI_MAKR3D      66   // Melzi with ATmega1284 (MaKr3d version)
Check the processor on your board to see if it is the ATmega644 or ATmega1284.

Adding a LCD can be done, but the limitation is based on the processor you have. I have the ATmega1284 and it all just fits. You'll also need to figure out the correct pins to connect from the expansion header to the LCD (I can help with that if you know which LCD you will be using).

As for adding the board to the Arduino IDE, just go to boards manager and search for "sanguino". It will pop up and you just need to click on install.

I've also included a pic of the LCD that I hooked up for mine.

@bigkahuna, I run 3mm ABS on my direct drive extruder with no problems. Not sure if this helps you though cause I've not used PLA on it before.
September 21, 2017 10:08PM
ah ok. I see now you have to add the repository for the sanguino in the ide preferences before it shows up in boards manager. my melzi is 1.0 ardentissimo but surprisingly it has the 1284p chip which is nice. Im planning on using a .96" oled which is i2c, It should be supported in marlin as the sd1306. I have it wired up to vcc,gnd, scl, sda so I think all thats left is to alter marlin to use it and flash. Im hoping it doesn't screw anything up but we'll see. thanks for the info!
May 22, 2018 01:04PM
So I am printing the parts to make my own RepRap Samuel when I ran into a problem. The belt that came with my Mendel is an XL belt. Is there anyway to make it work with the Samuel?
May 22, 2018 01:36PM
Hi StardustDragon,

I'm not too familiar with this belt type and this is the first I've hear of it used on a reprap.

You should be able to reuse the belt clamps that came with the mendel for the heat bed. As for the x-carriage, that part is generic and I just wrap it around then use a cable tie to tidy up the ends.

If your original mendel parts won't work, could you send me specs (with picture dimensions) on the belt or the stl files for the mendel parts that use this belt? I can try to design the relevant pieces.
May 22, 2018 04:05PM
Yeah it does not seem like a common belt type! I think I might be able to re-use it but I'll try to get some specs for you.
May 22, 2018 05:38PM
[github.com]

I found this which looks similar on my model
May 23, 2018 12:48PM
The file that you linked is just a pulley for the belt to ride on. If your belt is 6mm wide, you shouldn't have a problem.
May 23, 2018 04:49PM
Apparently there is a science to measuring these belts. I will have to grab some calipers when I am with it in the office again. I'll try to use this as a guide.

[www.sdp-si.com]
May 24, 2018 01:58PM
That website has the specs for my belt.
January 22, 2020 09:05AM
Hi, just wanted to say thanks for the design.

I've been wanted something a little bigger and thought I would need to do a redesign, then I came across your project and realised it made more sense every time I looked at it.

This is perfect for my needs and have most parts printed now apart from the extruder. I use 3mm filament so going the geared option, I already have the hobbed bolts so I can reuse them..
Again, thank you.

Jason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2020 11:22AM by Jase.
January 23, 2020 04:21AM
Hi Jason,

My pleasure and thanks for writing in here! I didn't expect anyone else would still look at this given how old the original Mendel project is. I would have thought most of the true DIY machines are gone, so it's really nice to see that some of us still maintain them.

Anyhow, good luck on the build!

Thanks again!
Chris
June 07, 2020 12:26PM
This is looking to be a great upgrade for my i2. I'm glad to see there's still some activity in this thread!

Got everything printed and mostly assembled here. I discovered that my belts are too short (hence the foreshortened Y-axis), but wanted to get things put together and test out the motion while I wait for new ones.

I'm using the i3 rework x-carriage with pierrelesek's L3K extruder and fwhardijzer's parametric herringbone gears.

Here's a shot of my Samuel as it is this morning, and one of the i2 it used to be last week.

Thanks silpstream for sharing this design, and to everyone else who contributed to this thread!
Attachments:
open | download - Webp.net-resizeimage (1).png (813.5 KB)
open | download - Webp.net-resizeimage (2).png (819.7 KB)
June 07, 2020 04:07PM
Hi rogmatic,

That's looking really good! That's a nice extruder setup you have going.

Seeing your old mendel is nostalgic. So many years ago. ;P

Thanks for posting your build up!
October 30, 2020 06:55AM
Thats one nice looking printer, I do have a old mendel somewhere,

Let's print me some parts.. only thing beter than a 3d printer, is another 3d printer.

Is there any speed in this printer?
Looks more stable..

Why is my z-axis so small?
Attachments:
open | download - 20201030_114528.jpg (554.4 KB)
open | download - 20201030_114557.jpg (379.2 KB)
open | download - 20201030_114628.jpg (363.6 KB)
December 29, 2021 04:41AM
Progress on my i2 rebuild...
Attachments:
open | download - i2 Rebuild.jpeg (349.7 KB)
December 29, 2021 09:26AM
Wow! That's looking really nice. Haven't seen that extruder you are using there for a long time. ;P
December 30, 2021 03:32AM
Cheers, I've used my i2 for ABS for 5 years, but wanted more build height and more choice of extruder setup abl probes etc.

I printed the parts a while ago, but just got around to doing the rebuild. The 'cable chain' for want of a better phrase is just some 3mm abs filament to give some body to the cable. my i2 just just used cable ties for the same job.
January 05, 2022 11:26PM
The 3mm filament for support is a good idea. I'm gonna try that.

Like you , I wanted more height, so for the z-threads I swapped to longer m6 threaded rods. I have a nut adapter (sam_m6-m8-nut-adapter.stl), in the GitHub, for both m5 and m6 so that we don't need to reprint the x-ends. If we use the i2 z-threads, they come up a bit short.

Thanks for posting up your build!
January 12, 2022 11:08AM
Wiring needs tidying up, will turn this skr1.3 plate into a case when I know where things really need to go. pi on the rear to try octoprint. and remote printing.
I like mcmasterp idea of bolting it all down, will go one further and add a post either side to stiffen up the towers and a crossbeam will also give me a place to mount a spool holder or 2.
I have replacement z screws already, sticking with 8mm but just not installed them yet.

Upgrading all the bits to 24v as the SKR is either or... and I was just running just the bed on 24v before. but my ramps didn't survive the transplant. so accidently had to put an skr in there (sensorless homing with the tmc2130 oh yes!)

I've mirrored the x carriage and mounted the motor on the opposite side to allow room for the electronics on the reverse. (and so it don't have to lengthen the x stepper motor wires.

no hot test yet, so not sure if the extruder turned the right way yet, but it's all minor stuff to finish. (waiting for an opto for the probe)
all good fun. too much free time at work so fiddling with it here...

next project will be to finish my 300x300 hypercube..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 02:42PM by Jase.
Attachments:
open | download - sam frame.jpeg (110.7 KB)
open | download - sam wiring.jpeg (124 KB)
April 11, 2024 06:21AM
Not dead yet.
bed updated to 235x235.

Sensible PSU running 24v (27.6 maxed out)
SKR1.3
Pi running Mainsail
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (87.4 KB)
VDX
April 11, 2024 06:54AM
... thumbs up! smileys with beer

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 14, 2024 03:15AM
That's so awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login