Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lighter Mendel

Posted by Lionel 
Lighter Mendel
April 07, 2010 01:08PM
Just a thought: why not use a coarse metal mesh instead of a thick sheet for the electronic support?

There are two pieces made in the thick sheet that are square and full of holes to place the electronic boards. Using a mesh would be lighter, and the board should eventually fit in the many holes. I haven't got a Mendel yet (still looking for the parts...) so I don't know how feasible that is. Anyone wants to try?
Re: Lighter Mendel
April 08, 2010 07:06AM
Mount them with tensioned wire then
April 08, 2010 08:22AM
Metal mesh seems good on weight and maybe cost -- how do you prevent risk for electrical shorts though?

Maybe instead of metal, plastic mesh would be better, and thinking about that -- it's printable too.
April 08, 2010 02:44PM
Is there a big need to make the Mendel lighter? I have not noticed that the weight was prevented me in doing anything. I can see how keeping the moving parts lighter weight would help reduce inertial while printing. But for the over all machine weight it is pretty easy to pick up and move?

I guess my question is what are you doing with your Mendel that making it lighter would help?

Josh
April 09, 2010 08:53AM
Making it lighter was not my initial aim. The initial aim was to make to construction simpler: if you use a mesh, you don't need to drill lots of holes in a panel. You just need to cut a couple of strands and that's it.

Good idea for the plastic mesh, I will try to find one.
April 09, 2010 09:12AM
How about Rigid Plastic Mesh for Industrial Applications from DelStar Technologies Inc.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 09, 2010 10:42AM
Cable or as our US cousins like, zip ties.
April 09, 2010 12:39PM
Is the weight of the electronics that heavy? From what I bought, I supposed that a simple B&Q garden mesh would do the trick?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login