Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad electronics?

Posted by mac hacker 
Bad electronics?
October 17, 2014 08:15PM
Hey everyone, I was just poking around the prusa threads looking for potential fixes to the problem I have with my DIYTS i3x. After two months of putting the thing together in my free time, I spent the next 5 months ish trying to get it to work, also in my free time. I am sure I got my wiring right, but nothing really works. The X and Y axes will move in the positive direction, but the motors just sit there and hum when I ask them to move the other way. The Z axis will only hum when I ask it to move in either direction. Support from DIYTS has been pretty useless, but they did advice me to install the jumper shunts under the stepper drivers which were not installed by default.

Now on top of my axes not working properly, the extruder motor doesn't do anything at all. I tried switching the wire for the extruder motor over to the X axis, and there was still nothing when I asked the "X" axis to move. This tells me that the extruder motor is dead. The extruder heater turns on and I am able to extrude material by turning the extruder gear by hand. The cooling fan turns on when I send m106, but the heated bed does not turn on at all. I did test the heated bed with a 12 V hacked up music power supply and the bed LED lit up and the bed itself got warm.

I know my arduino works, but I am not sure about the outputs being completely functional. I ran a test blink program and that worked fine, but all of the signs available to me point to the RAMPS being damaged from the supplier or DOA. Does anyone have any insight to what is going on? Thank you!
Re: Bad electronics?
October 18, 2014 08:02AM
Change your RAMPS, not very expensive to try. Mine did not want to fit to Arduino very easily. Perhaps some pins or soldered joints broke from your RAMPS?

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
October 18, 2014 10:44AM
OK, will do. I can finally put my amazon gift card to good use grinning smiley. Do you think it would be worth it to also try to replace the stepper drivers as well, or just the ramps?
October 18, 2014 02:28PM
Pololus are also cheap, I would also buy new ones. But I did not burn them, even when I drove them some time on overvoltage. I later calibrated them to 0.4V from 0.8v (the extruder now 0.65v).

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
October 20, 2014 05:48PM
One more thing, is there a specific brand you would recommend? Just looking at amazon, the sainsmart and riorand models have the best reviews. I don't want to end up with another DOA board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login