Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to use MakerBot Electronics with Stepper Extruder?

Posted by jmil 
how to use MakerBot Electronics with Stepper Extruder?
April 16, 2010 01:12AM
Hi,

How can I use MakerBot Electronics with a stepper extruder? I've connected a stepper extruder to the Extruder Controller v2.2, and uploaded firmware where I've edited the Configuration.h file to call for a stepper motor rather than a PWM motor. However, ReplicatorG does not change and is unable to make a stepper turn.

All those using Wade's geared NEMA17 to run their Mendel -- please help! How do you do that??

Also, why NEMA17 instead of the higher torque NEMA23?? Wouldn't NEMA23 allow us to run the filament much faster, like MakerBot speed?

thank you.
Re: how to use MakerBot Electronics with Stepper Extruder?
April 20, 2010 03:07PM
ReplicatorG is not 5D RepRap firmware compatible. You need to use the RepRap host software if you have used the 5D RepRap firmware (due to changes in the protocol for checksums and line numbers).

Alternatively you can try the makerbot firmware with stepper enabled (I hear it has the option now) but I also hear this is fully untested.

Nema23 is heavier so moving it on X,Z would require stronger motors for the same speeds, Erik has made a bowden extruder with Nema23 though => [www.thingiverse.com] and it looks very nice from the vids i've seen (building one myself atm).

Finally, if you are going the route of RepRap host software it is terrible at converting stl=>gcode. I would highly recommend using Skeinforge to do that and then loading the generated gcode into the RepRap host software.

Best of Luck!
April 20, 2010 05:44PM
{Ali G voice} (points to Adrian) Mate, ee's erite ovaah thair.. ees onnah ear you! {/Ali G voice}
April 20, 2010 08:50PM
excellent and outstanding, thanks for all the info. really really helpful. I'm diving into the g3firmware, so I'll probably do it the MakerBot way. bowden extruder to boot!
April 21, 2010 02:55PM
np, bowden + makerbot should be pretty cool if you get it working, i don't think anyones tryed that yet without 5d to compensate for the bowden cable tensioning. Make sure to post your results good or bad!

in response to the honorable Ali G: ummmmm.. DISTRACTION (god i hope that worked)
April 21, 2010 02:59PM
forgot to mention, I've promised a certain MakerGear proprietor a 5D firmware compatibility fix for ReplicatorG, long story short you may see a patch popping up soon on github winking smiley
April 21, 2010 03:43PM
Respek

--Jeff Keegan (Just Another RepRap blog)
April 21, 2010 11:56PM
wow, you rock! I'm on the RepG dev team (mostly watching, for now), so I'm very much looking forward to the patch. I can help merge it into master if needed.

btw, Bowden style extruder for MakerBot is documented here:
[wiki.makerbot.com]

sources and design are all in svn already. it will be excellent.

How is the 5D firmware in terms of daily operation? I'm pretty comfortable with RepG and the G3Firmware, and also have well worn calluses from using it. How does the 5D Firmware compare?
July 22, 2010 10:21AM
I am using Makerbots newest firmware for the motherboard, the "1.8 w/Heated build platform" for the extruder, Replicator 17 and
this settings in "machines.xml:

(but I am missing torque in my stepper motor)

RepRap Mendel
<!-- Z uses the same pulley, but is geared down pretty hard -->

<!-- optional, defaults to first serial port found. COM1 -->
<!-- required: we need 8 bit and 38400 baud. -->
<!-- optional, defaults to 1. 1 -->
<!-- optional, defaults to N. N -->
(Turn off steppers after a build.)
M18
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login