Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folgertech issues

Posted by Gannicus 
Folgertech issues
November 16, 2014 03:44PM
Just finished building my Folgertech Prusa I3...

Despite the lack of instructions, I managed to get it built. Installed their version of Marlin, and after connecting to it with Pronterface, I've determined that the heat bed works, the extruder works, both thermistors work...the trouble is, when I try to jog any of the coordinates, the thing just makes a loud BZZZZZZZ. The stepper motors twitch...but that's about it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Re: Folgertech issues
November 16, 2014 05:21PM
You may need to adjust the stepper drivers. They're either giving too much or too little current. Or you'll need to adjust the steps/mm in the firmware, it may be telling them to move too much too fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 05:22PM by AbuMaia.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
November 16, 2014 05:34PM
Awesome! I would figure checking the power delivered to the drivers should be my first bet.

I've got a multimeter in hand, what am I looking for?
November 16, 2014 05:46PM
I just attempted to lower the steps for the X|Y to 80 within Pronterface from the default and it's clear what the sound is now that's doing it really slowly. It's literally just going back and forth. One step one way, then one step back the other way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 05:47PM by Gannicus.
November 16, 2014 10:29PM
I'm having the same issues with this kit.. If I move my X+ is goes fine but X- it hardly moves if at all. Horrible buzz on the motors as well, did you try to tune them on the board or just in ponterface?
November 16, 2014 10:42PM
Well...because there really is no instructions on this kit, I'm kinda just flying by the seat of my pants. I've adjusted the steps in Pronterface, have no idea how to adjust anything on the board. I've tried turning the pot on the Y axis stepper controller a little to the left and right, and nothing changed.

I kind of have the opposite problem. If I try one way on any of the axis, I get "axis has reached stop" or whatever indicating it triggered my stop switch...but it's no where near it.

I go the other direction, and the damn thing just twists back and force. Real frustrating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 10:45PM by Gannicus.
November 17, 2014 08:53AM
Bump for the morning crowd.
November 17, 2014 02:45PM
Hope this helps....

End stops need to be setup before you can really test the motion of the printer.
There are a number of variables with end stops both mechanical and firmware wise.

For my build my X end stop is on the left side, the Y end stop is at the back and the z is at the bottom.
With my i3, in prontorface if I ask the:
X axis to move in the + direction the carriage moves to the right
If I ask the Y axis to move in the + direction the bed moves toward the front
If I ask the Z axis to move in the + direction it moves up.
If any of these are wrong you can either reverse the connector on the RAMPS or change the firmware in the lines:
#define INVERT_X_DIR or #define INVERT_Y_DIR etc etc

Depending where the end stop is placed on the printer it will either be a MIN or MAX end stop for that axis.
For the X axis if it is on the left side it is a MIN end stop, if on the right a MAX end stop
For the Y axis if it is at the back of the printer it's a MIN end stop, if at the front it's a MAX end stop
The Z being at the bottom is a MIN end stop

These have to be defined in the Marlin firmware AND the switch wires plugged into the correct pins on the RAMPS board.
The RAMPS has pins for both MIN and MAX for all 3 axis - see attached images.
In Marlin look for:

// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

and change as necessary.

I use mechanical switches vs optical for my stops.
They can be NO or NC (normally open or closed)
I use NO, when the printer homes it closes the switch and signals the Arduino it's at the home position
This also need to be defined in Marlin. Look for the lines starting:
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false;
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false;
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false;
This is for NC

I changed them all to true for NO.

I only use 2 wires from my switch to the RAMPS and they go on the S and -
There is nothing on the +
Make sure they match with what you define in Marlin
compile/upload etc

To test the end stops manually send the printer an M119 code
It will show open or triggered. close the switch and send an M119 again to check etc etc

If the motors still buzz when trying to home you will need to adjust the pots on the driver(s)
You can check the volts going to the driver by using a multimeter between the ground and the pot on the driver.
Turn the 12V power off but leave a PC attached via the USB on the Arduino.
I use the ground where the -12V lead comes into the RAMPS and the + lead to the driver pot.
On my i3 the X and Y read approx .45v and the Z about 7.5
Adjust the pot using 1/8 turn at a time (use a plastic/ceramic screw driver if you have one),
power the printer up and try again.

Steve
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS-Min.jpg (129.2 KB)
open | download - RAMPS-MAX.jpg (129.6 KB)
November 17, 2014 06:40PM
WOW Steve. All fantastic info...thank you.

Turns out, the wiring on the ramps end of the stepper motor wiring was incorrect. Folgertech includes absolutely NO info on the electronics portion, for anyone who may have this issue in the future:

The motor end ( white connector ) is correct as is:
RED
YELLOW
GREY
GREEN

HOWEVER... the Ramps Side ( black connector)
Is wired entirely different. It is wired:
RED
GREY
YELLOW
GREEN

Hope this helps everyone.
December 17, 2014 09:18PM
I have this exact kit and cant for the life of me get my extruder to feed.
I am new to this forum and the printing world. I just bought a pursa i3 kit and have it all assembled and all my axis home and work except for my extruder. I know my stepper motor works because I have unplugged my x axis control and used it on extruder and it worked just fine. I have heated the hot end and bed still no luck, i have even swapped out the pins for the x and e0 and even e0 and e1 still no luck.

I have the arduno mega 2560 with ramps 1.4, using marlin with pronterface as my control.

Can anyone please help?
December 22, 2014 12:03AM
MacMi113r
I have this exact kit and cant for the life of me get my extruder to feed.
I am new to this forum and the printing world. I just bought a pursa i3 kit and have it all assembled and all my axis home and work except for my extruder. I know my stepper motor works because I have unplugged my x axis control and used it on extruder and it worked just fine. I have heated the hot end and bed still no luck, i have even swapped out the pins for the x and e0 and even e0 and e1 still no luck.

I have the arduno mega 2560 with ramps 1.4, using marlin with pronterface as my control.

Can anyone please help?

What software are you using to the extrude? I had an issue when the holes between the stepper feed and the hot end input didn't line up. You could check that. Are you using ABS or PLA?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login