Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie with startup problems

Posted by JStechinLA 
Newbie with startup problems
November 17, 2014 01:54PM
I have purchased and assembled a Aurora3D DIY RepRap Prusa I3 (Z-605) printer.
Almost all of my instructions are in Chinese as far as the drivers are concerned. I tried to install (stupidly) the chinese drivers and a bunch of junkware installed along with it - the drivers didn't work.
With no instruction manuals I don't even know if the printer is assembled correctly. I have 1 red LED on power up (next to jumpers at right side of board. The printer doesn't seem to do a POST startup sequence which seems strange but not knowing this printer.....
Anyway, I need drivers for this printer and some kind of instruction about how to tell if it is functioning. I have installed Repetier-Host V0,83 (recommended in docs with printer) but w/o drivers it just kind of looks pretty....
Help!
This printer has the Reprap Melzi V2.3 board.
I have searched all over the internet for any instructions to no avail. Can anyone lend a hand?
Thanks
JStechinLA
Re: Newbie with startup problems
November 17, 2014 06:26PM
USB driver instructions: [reprappro.com]
Instructions for flashing firmware: [reprappro.com]

I believe these are for an older version of Melzi, but it should get you started.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
November 19, 2014 06:36PM
I was told by the vendor that I bought this from not to update the firmware....seems strange to me.
November 19, 2014 06:41PM
So it looks like the drivers are at least talking to WIndows. I have verified that the printer is connecting over COM5 and it has the FTDI verions 2.12.0.0.
When I try to connect to the printer within Repetier-Host (V0.83 - recommended by vendor) I get this error:
15:14:18.374 : Serial com errorconfused smileyystem.IO.Ports.SerialErrorReceivedEventArgs\
Any ideas?
JS
November 20, 2014 06:35AM
Check connection speed. I have 250000, using Pronterface.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
November 21, 2014 02:35AM
It sounds like the FTDI chip on the Melzi has been soft bricked by the latest FDTI drivers. That could explain why the vendor didn't want you to update it. FDTI released the 2.12.0 driver to purposely soft brick counterfeit/clone FDTI chips. The driver sets the PID to 0 which soft bricks it.

There is a pretty big uproar in the electronics community about it, so much so FDTI has backtracked and taken that driver down. You can search FDTI and brick and you'll see the story.
November 23, 2014 05:17PM
Damn straight its an uproar - blocking their drivers to not work is fair enough, but software bricking someone elses' gear is just straight vandalism. Most buyers wouldn't have a clue whether they have legit chips, nor do they have control over the buying process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login