Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble with wirings

Posted by rich1812 
Trouble with wirings
December 06, 2014 12:06PM
Hi I just bought my first Purase i3 printer kit from eBay, [www.ebay.com]

The frame is all done, now comes to the wirings where I got stuck.

I don't feel comfortably with OEM PSU that comes with the kit, so I use a run of the mill ATX PSU from my PC.(please see pic1.)

I wired it as this diagram has shown, here is where I am not very clear. In the diagram, it shows both Main Power Supplies are from 12V source. but one is 11A and the other one is 5A. I wasn't sure Hhow to connect it because the ATX PSU boTh 12 V outputs are 20A, so I wired the 12V to the connectors on the RAMPS. Like this: (please see pic2)

However, with the Arduino Mega attached, I turn on the power, smoke started the come out. What did I do wrong?

Another question:
As for the heated, on the extruder, there are two pairs of wire coms out, one pair is red, with some kind of high temperature wrapping. The other par is just plain old white wire. Where do they go?

Thanks in advance for your guildance.
Attachments:
open | download - pic1.jpg (121.4 KB)
open | download - pic2.jpg (135.9 KB)
open | download - pic3.png (40.9 KB)
Re: Trouble with wirings
December 06, 2014 01:38PM
The power supply photo does not show 2 12V20A circuits - it only shows 1, but since it's 20A, it's all you need. Just connect the same power supply output to both RAMPS connectors. make sure you wire them in PARALLEL.
December 06, 2014 02:12PM
What was wrong with the Folger Tech one? Way easier to hookup vs an old ATX powersupply and a lot neater.

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
December 06, 2014 02:27PM
@jbernardis I am sorry the pic wasn't clear. It was a plug that has 4 pin, two yellow and two black. each (Yellow/Black) pairs has 12V output, so I did precisely what you said, one 12V pair goes to one RAMP 12V in and the other goes to the second RAMP 12V in. But somehow with the Arduino Mega attached, smoke came out and I smell something burning. I hope I didn't fry anything. I am not clear why on the RAMP board, one input says 11A, the other says 5A. What different are they, if any. As you can tell, I am a newbie. smiling smiley

@steveboy I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Folger one, I am just not feeling comfortable with the connections of the 220V AC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 02:28PM by rich1812.
December 06, 2014 05:38PM
rich1812
@jbernardis I am sorry the pic wasn't clear. It was a plug that has 4 pin, two yellow and two black. each (Yellow/Black) pairs has 12V output, so I did precisely what you said, one 12V pair goes to one RAMP 12V in and the other goes to the second RAMP 12V in. But somehow with the Arduino Mega attached, smoke came out and I smell something burning. I hope I didn't fry anything. I am not clear why on the RAMP board, one input says 11A, the other says 5A. What different are they, if any. As you can tell, I am a newbie. smiling smiley

@steveboy I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Folger one, I am just not feeling comfortable with the connections of the 220V AC.

I would check that you are getting 12V from the power supply.
The 5A is for the hot-end circuit, the 11A is for the heated bed circuit.
They are fused with the square yellow polyfuses.

Find an electrician who can hook up the folger one for you.

Steve
December 06, 2014 06:25PM
Hi I tried once again, this time it seems to work fine. No smoke came out of the boards.

But still remains a question, in the attached diagram (pic1), there are three components - Extruder Thermistor, Extruder Power Resistor and the component in the center of the red square-the heated bed, I do not have them in the Folger kit. Are the Extruder Thermistor and the Extruder Power Resistor built in? mine looks like in pic 2, there are a pair of thick red wire and a pair of thin white wire. Are they the Extruder Thermistor,(red wires) and Extruder Power Resistor(white wires)? and what is the thing in the center of the heated bed? Thanks again for your help.

@ steveboy, yeah, after I get the whole thing working, I will pack the Folger PSU in an enclosure. Perhaps I can print one smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 06:28PM by rich1812.
Attachments:
open | download - pic1.png (396.1 KB)
open | download - pic2.jpg (92.1 KB)
December 06, 2014 07:26PM
rich1812
Hi I tried once again, this time it seems to work fine. No smoke came out of the boards.

But still remains a question, in the attached diagram (pic1), there are three components - Extruder Thermistor, Extruder Power Resistor and the component in the center of the red square-the heated bed, I do not have them in the Folger kit. Are the Extruder Thermistor and the Extruder Power Resistor built in? mine looks like in pic 2, there are a pair of thick red wire and a pair of thin white wire. Are they the Extruder Thermistor,(red wires) and Extruder Power Resistor(white wires)? and what is the thing in the center of the heated bed? Thanks again for your help.

@ steveboy, yeah, after I get the whole thing working, I will pack the Folger PSU in an enclosure. Perhaps I can print one smiling smiley

Yes, the thick red wires are the extruder heater wires (it is a cartridge heater instead of a power resistor) and the thin white wires connect to the extruder thermistor.

The thing in the middle of the heated bed is another thermistor, usually one with a nominal 10K resistance @ 25C.

Regarding the smoke you saw initially, my best guess is that either you connected the yellow and black wires the wrong way round, or you had a short on the back of the board or on one of the outputs. Are there any signs of charring on the board?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 06, 2014 10:58PM
Thank you all for your helpful replies. smiling smiley

@dc42 I just want to make sure I get this correctly, so the the thick red wires are the extruder heater wires(thick red) go to the D10 connector on the RAMPS and the thin white wires go to T0. Am I correct?
and I do not recall seeing the thermistor that goes to the middle of the heated bed in the Folger kit, I hope I didn't lose it. Is this necessary or is it something I can add on to after I get the basic function working. And when I order one, what is the specs I should get?
Yeah, I couldn't figure out what caused the smoke, I must have shorted something before, I am just glad that I didn't fry anything smiling smiley, Phew
December 07, 2014 05:18AM
rich1812
@dc42 I just want to make sure I get this correctly, so the the thick red wires are the extruder heater wires(thick red) go to the D10 connector on the RAMPS and the thin white wires go to T0. Am I correct?

Yes.

rich1812
and I do not recall seeing the thermistor that goes to the middle of the heated bed in the Folger kit, I hope I didn't lose it. Is this necessary or is it something I can add on to after I get the basic function working. And when I order one, what is the specs I should get?

Yes it is necessary. Just about any 10K NTC thermistor will do. You can find them on eBay.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 09, 2014 12:30PM
Thaks to many of your helps, I have wired everything up. I followed this instruction a lot [www.instructables.com]

All motors and endstops are working properly, Just a few more Questions.
1.) When the axles traps the endstop, the carriers would bounces back a few mm, than come to a full stop, is this a normal?
2.) regarding the hot end and the heated bed.
I followed the wirings large on this diagram(pic1) The thermistor is a standard 103 NTC, It is in good working condition. One end connected to T1 on the RAMPS. The other end connected to P1 of the heated bed. My heated bed looks like this one (pic2) It's the one that came with the Folger kit.
The thick red wires go to (Extruder Power resistor in pic1) connected to D10, the white wires (Extruder thermistor) connected to T0, On the heated bed pin 1 and pin 3 with regard to + and -.
However, once power on the RAMPS, None of the D pins has any voltage, and the heated bed remains cold, On the Macpronterface app, it reads 0 degree it But all motors are working.What is preventing the heated bed from heating?

Thanks again smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 12:33PM by rich1812.
Attachments:
open | download - pic1.png (396.1 KB)
open | download - pic2.jpg (253 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login