Extruder problem
December 13, 2014 04:44PM
Can I just come in with have a question here, extruder will not nodtage filament, I can find a few cleaning rod igenem, but I can not get the filament down to the extruder opening,, how can I clean out the extruder, I use PLA ...

I'm thinking of making a metal nozzle for my heat gun and then melt it out, anyone who has tried it?
Re: Extruder problem
December 13, 2014 04:46PM
And this follow up, i added my machine in signature, i might help alot when asking for help smoking smiley

BQ I3 prusa - PLA
December 14, 2014 05:52AM
Well, i heated up to 220, let it stand for 20min and cut the PLA like a pen point, then i just barely got it trugh the extruder and now it runs again..

BQ I3 prusa - PLA
December 16, 2014 12:47AM
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I had rapidly pulled some filament out by hand, and I guess some semi-liquid filament stuck to the walls of the head-sink and was blocking the filament. I popped the blockage out with a drill bit and that was it.

Try measuring a length of filament and sticking it down towards the nozzle. See how far it gets (so you know where you have the blockage). If its near the nozzle, heat 'er up and try to push it through. If its above the nozzle, you've got an upstream blockage that you will need to remove by hand.
December 16, 2014 01:09AM
LNButts
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I had rapidly pulled some filament out by hand, and I guess some semi-liquid filament stuck to the walls of the head-sink and was blocking the filament. I popped the blockage out with a drill bit and that was it.

Try measuring a length of filament and sticking it down towards the nozzle. See how far it gets (so you know where you have the blockage). If its near the nozzle, heat 'er up and try to push it through. If its above the nozzle, you've got an upstream blockage that you will need to remove by hand.

What kind of drill bit do you use for this? Could u give me a link to a picture or web shop that has it? I have searched but can't figure what kind of drill bit to search for
December 16, 2014 11:38PM
Nothing fancy. The blockage I had was in my heat-sink tube, which fits a 1/8" drill bit no problem
January 13, 2015 11:33AM
I'm only a month late to the post....
MakerGeeks.com has a .33mm drill bit mounted in a holder for cleaning your hotend. They also have some wire they call extruder floss.

For a drill bit, you have to know the size of the extruder orifice, such as 0.35mm, and find a drill bit that is a little smaller.
For example, one that is rated as wire gauge size 28 is (should be) .3211mm
For conversion to figure out:
[www.rapidtables.com]

For source, in the US McMaster.com is a great source.

Could also try a sewing or embroidery needle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login