Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper extuder

Posted by athlon 
Stepper extuder
June 27, 2010 06:08PM
Hi,

I just finished putting together my Mendel. I used the TechZone electronics and also made my own stepper drivers. I was able to load the firmware and can move all the axis, although my Z is binding and I have to fix that. I can monitor the temperature and heat the extruder but I can not get the stepper I am using for the extruder to move. It does make a low whine. I simply hooked this up to the 4 screw terminals where the motor goes. Was this not correct? Do I need to do something more?

Thanks!
Re: Stepper extuder
June 27, 2010 07:07PM
Sounds like your software tries to drive the stepper faster than it can follow and/or the driver doesn't send enough current to the stepper. To find out you can start debugging with an exercising firmware like here: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 27, 2010 08:58PM
Thanks! I will give it a try.
August 13, 2010 01:24PM
I'm experiencing exactly the same thing!!! only im using makerbot gen3 electronics.
all axis move well, heater heats up, temp reads well, but extruder only whines. i also found that if i touch or even just put my finger close to D9 pins the extruder moves, not smoothly but turn continuously. further more, when tested with firmware on the extruder board page it dose turn!
what am i missing? in any case the extruder button in the software dose not change anything.
help will be appreciated

and what is the open value button in the software?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 01:38PM by atntias.
August 14, 2010 03:56AM
i think i found the probblem : the i2c is not connected to the d9 and d10 pins rather to the i2c header. thats beacuse there are pulldown resistors already in the motherboard. and for the resistence not to derease when connecting in parallel to the pulldowns on the i2c header in the extruder board we use d9 and d10. now its all clear to me i will try it out later today.

i thin it is not well documented on the wiring page and the porpuse of the wires are not stated not in the fimware or the website. i found not a word on i2c in the fimware nor in the web page, it dose show in the wiring diargam but i somehow missed it. any ways il say it clearly here for other to find.

step stepper motor in the extruder extrude whining not working not turning extruding i2c d9 10 reprap mendel <- keywords

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 04:04AM by atntias.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login