Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend not heating past 185c

Posted by woodenparrot 
Hotend not heating past 185c
May 05, 2015 11:35AM
I was using PLA and it was printing fine, switched to ABS. It heated fine at first but after re-calibrating, it will not heat past 185c. I changed the heater to no avail. Could I have screwed up the firmware somehow by killing print jobs while trying to calibrate the nozzle?
Using Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4, 24v, Marlin 1.0.0
Re: Hotend not heating past 185c
May 05, 2015 05:32PM
Check #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 230 ? You can reload your firmware if there were problems... Some limits in your printing soft. ?

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
May 06, 2015 10:33AM
I'm working on getting all the values I need to re-flash the firmware and hope that fixes the problem. I've tried using Cura and iRapid.
May 06, 2015 05:35PM
If reflashing doesn't help, check if the fuse is not the culprit. For RAMPS 1.4 it's the F1 fuse — the smaller one on this picture. If the fuses run very close to their rated value sometimes they tend to trip too early.
May 08, 2015 11:00AM
Got the code from the kit maker, reflashed - no dice. Tried shorting out the fuse, this also did nothing. Hotend still not heating past 185c. poop
Anyone have any other ideas?
May 08, 2015 03:24PM
I replaced the heater and resisted (heat sensor) and it will now heat up but it still will not print. It's bouncing between 181c and 241c and the bed is stalling at 95c while the software wants it to go up to 120c.
May 09, 2015 01:08AM
Have you previously been able to attain that bed temperature? You may just not have the pow'r, captain, especially if you have a thick heat spreader on the bed. Checking resistances and voltages would give some idea of the circumstances.

As for the hot end, you've changed configuration. You probably need to do an M303 PID tune and store the values in the firmware or EEPROM.
May 16, 2015 10:27PM
PID Autotune failed! Temperature too high
Error: checksum mismatch, Last Line: 62
May 21, 2015 05:37PM
If it's bouncing between 181c and 241c within a couple of seconds, it's likely to be shorting/open circuit on the thermistor. Unless you've got a hundred watts of heating resistor there's no way you can put 60 degrees of heat into the hotend in a couple of seconds.
May 21, 2015 07:58PM
You sir, are my new hero!
I pushed the insulation on the wires down, put some yellow tape between them, wrapped it up, and it ran just fine. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login