Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axes home positions

Posted by StabAdie 
Axes home positions
September 29, 2010 10:42PM
Hello folks.

I've just gotten my Reprap Mendel put together and now I'm ready to configure the axes and the extruder. I've found this wiki page that explains how to configure the axes. My one question is that the page has step one as "Home all 3 axes."

Where exactly is home? In putting together all of the axes they are just in the random places where they were set when I tightened the belts and fastened the vertical driving thread bars.

I've searched the wiki-pages and have not found any info regarding a home position. If there is a page explaining this I am welcome to just go and read the pages if they are there.

Amputee Parade - My Art and Reprap blog
Re: Axes home positions
September 30, 2010 03:07AM
Home is the position where your MIN switch activates.
Press the Home all button in the Host Software Extruder 0 tab (or use the individual Home buttons in the XYZ tab).
For X and Y it can be adjusted by cutting down the opto flag (assuming you are using the standard optical switches).
The Z-axis is adjustable via a nut.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 30, 2010 04:55PM
I actually have the same question. Is home the bed all the way forward, backward. The extruder to the left or right? I understand how to configure and use the opt switches, however i'm not sure where home actually is.
September 30, 2010 06:43PM
If you call where the y-motor is the back of the Mendel that is also where the opto is, so that is home, i.e. the bed at the back, nozzle at the front of the bed.

The opto for the x-axis is on the left, so that is where the carriage homes to.

The opto for the z-axis is at the bottom so z homes to just above the bed.

So, in fact, all the axes home positions are towards their respective motors.

Don't be confused by pictures of my machine. I tend to do everything opposite to RepRap so I have my machine orientated back to front. I home z upwards as that is always a safe option regardless of what is on the table.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 30, 2010 09:34PM
Suggestions to where I should paste this into on the wiki? I looked, but could not find it a reference there.

nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you call where the y-motor is the back of the
> Mendel that is also where the opto is, so that is
> home, ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login