Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best extruder for Reprap Mendel

Posted by axeldk 
Best extruder for Reprap Mendel
April 14, 2016 05:12AM
Hi,

Got one of the first versions of the Mendel here. (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/RepRap_v2_Mendel.jpg)
This is an old printer from a school. They want to update the extruder and hot end.

So the question is. What is the best extruder and hot end combination for a Mendel at this moment?

Thanks smiling smiley

Axel Dekeyser
Re: Best extruder for Reprap Mendel
April 14, 2016 12:14PM
Gregs Wades extruder with a genuine j head Mk V BV hot end. It's a great combo.I've been using them for years.
April 15, 2016 03:00AM
So this extruder? [reprap.org]
or a later evolution of it?
And a hot end like this [www.hotends.com]
April 15, 2016 10:21AM
Hello, yes I use the newer version of the Wades extruder. Most J heads hotends are suitable too. But the ones from from hotends.com are the best. Printing is more fun when you don't have to be constantly clearing out jams. Respectfully ,Ray
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20160415_061957-1.jpg (361.5 KB)
April 15, 2016 10:40AM
The clogging of the head is a real problem.
So you use the 5th Gen: Greg's Wade reloaded when I look at the gears.

Thanks for your help smiling smiley
April 15, 2016 02:27PM
this extruder you are talking about is a bowden setup or a direct extruder ? Also the j head stop are no longer available, aren't they ? Comparing to a rpp quick set hotend how much better is i t?

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
April 15, 2016 05:10PM
Inappropriate response_sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 08:51AM by Shank man.
Attachments:
open | download - dualwades.jpg (436.2 KB)
April 16, 2016 03:13AM
ello,

Gregs Wades extruder with a genuine j head Mk V BV hot end. It's a great combo.I've been using them for years

Just to echo shank man that set up served me well in the past direct extruder [www.thingiverse.com], not seeing your set up here a carriage to upgrade too. [www.thingiverse.com].

that said I have wickedly good time with a bowden setup,using a nema geared stepper and modified B'studer [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 03:27AM by jinx.
April 27, 2016 01:08AM
I've really been impressed by RRP's geared mini extruder. I've not asked it to do anything it wouldn't.

As for hot-ends, I also liked the QuickSet hot end they introduced with the Mendel 3 and its contemporaries. Simple, high temperature capability, and low thermal mass. I have two of those and an E3D v6 mounted on mine at the moment, with a Diamond on hold for addition.
May 28, 2016 08:35PM
RRPs geared extruder has a tendency for the interface between the main gear and the axle screw to fail, Ive got three of them and all suffered the same fate, reprinted the gears in ABS and got some improvement, but ultimately I replaced them with E3D titans, and Ive got no more extruder problems!

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
June 26, 2016 05:24PM
The Ormerod geared extruder works better than the mini geared extruder in my experience. I use the hinged variant published by MasonStonehenge on Thingiverse in both my Ormerod and my Kossel. I've not tried the Wades or the Titan.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login