Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any RepraPro mendel users here

Posted by Gaou 
Any RepraPro mendel users here
April 17, 2016 10:11AM
I have difficult time to believe there are no users with the specific printer.

I just want to know if anyone have done any mods to the rpp mendel. If so what kind of mods - upgrades ?

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
Re: Any RepraPro mendel users here
April 27, 2016 01:05AM
Mine started life as a Tricolour Mendel 2 (with master/slave Melzis), so the Duet 0.8.5/DueX4 was a bigger upgrade for me than it would be for you. Any of the usual upgrades for any printer work for it, too. I currently have an E3D v6 and two RRP QuickSet hot ends mounted on a custom X carriage but need to resolve ADC crosstalk on the DueX4 channels before using the second QS hot end or mounting the Diamond that's waiting in the wings (for use as an addition, not a replacement). SSR-driven higher-voltage beds, enclosures...The options are practically endless.
April 27, 2016 01:48PM
I bought a RepRapPro Mendel around the middle of last year so it came with Duet 0.6. Then towards the end of the year, I upgraded it to a Tricolour which meant adding RepRapPro's shield and the two additional extruders and hot ends. Since then, I've fitted a Diamond hot end. I designed a mount for the Diamond hot end which fits on the existing X carriage and which also has a bracket to take the modulating probe. You can find the mount on Thingiverse. I designed a simple horse shoe shaped spacer that goes in the slot on the Z motor mount that clamps the Z rods because I found that if you tighten the nuts to get the frame nice and stiff, the clamps deform too much and split. I got some Sorbothane sheet and cut 4 squares out of it to go under the feet which really quietens it down if you have it on a wooden surface.
April 28, 2016 02:35AM
you have some serious updates there . how much better is the diamond and the E3D v6 from the original quick set hot end ? Also the multiple extruder is the best update that someone can do in my opinion....!

. keep it coming.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
April 28, 2016 05:28PM
Gaou
you have some serious updates there . how much better is the diamond and the E3D v6 from the original quick set hot end ? Also the multiple extruder is the best update that someone can do in my opinion....!

. keep it coming.

I found the original single quick set nozzle worked fine. The problems came when I upgraded to the Tricolour with 3 nozzles.

1, The nozzles are offset from each other so you have to calibrate this offset accurately to get multiple colours to line up.
2. Because of this offset (about 40mm) you lose a significant amount off the printable area in the x axis.
3. You have to set all 3 nozzles to exactly the same height (within 0.1mm or better.) which is fiddly and very difficult.
4. Each nozzle has it's own heater so when you switch from one colour to another, you have to switch the current nozzle to a lower standby temperature to prevent filament from oozing, then switch the new nozzle heater from its standby temperature to its operating temperature and wait for these temperatures to stabilise which can take several minutes.
5. Even with 4 set as above, you still get some oozing from unused nozzles which rubs on the part you are trying to print.

The Diamond hot end fixes all these problems.

You might like this [forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 05:30PM by deckingman.
April 28, 2016 06:41PM
Separate heaters do have benefits, too, though. You can't print different materials with wildly different extrusion temperatures through a Diamond. I do PETG over PVA on mine from time to time, and the PETG extrusion temperatures would clog the nozzle immediately once PVA started going through.
April 29, 2016 02:00PM
IMBoring25
Separate heaters do have benefits, too, though. You can't print different materials with wildly different extrusion temperatures through a Diamond. I do PETG over PVA on mine from time to time, and the PETG extrusion temperatures would clog the nozzle immediately once PVA started going through.

Well I must confess I haven't tried different materials but I can't see why it wouldn't work. You have 3 tools and although they share the same heater, you can still define individual operating and standby temperatures for each tool. So when you change tools, it would wait for the heater to reach the new operating temperature before it started extruding the same way as it does with 3 separate heaters.
May 08, 2016 09:07AM
Today i got myself a e3d v6. i hope it will solve my problems with my current hot end and the endless clogs.! Thanks guys for the heads up . i ll post the update here when it comes ( hopefully fast )

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
May 11, 2016 07:01PM
In regard to a couple of issues mentioned in posts in this thread:

1. ADC channel crosstalk on the Duet 0.8.5 is resolved in later versions of the firmware, I think the fix was first in version 1.09r.

2. To reduce tool change time, I recommend setting up the tool change files to wait for the new tool to reach operating temperature, but not to wait for the old tool to cool down to standby temperature, which takes a lot longer. See my blog for details.

More advice on Duet-controlled printers can be found in the Ormerod and Duet sections of this forum.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 12, 2016 07:54AM
Ive got a RRP mendel 3 tricolour, not used it for a while becasue Im busy playing with deltas, but I'm now considering stripping this machine down and rebuilding it with a new frame

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
May 12, 2016 11:32AM
1.09r still had severe crosstalk for me. Since that post I've loaded 1.11 (and subsequently 1.12) which tamed it nicely.
May 28, 2016 11:38AM
well guys after a lot of frustration i did one more upgrade to my printer. My second rpp which has been built by me had a quick set nozzle but the aluminum piece that works a thermal bridge for the nozzle and the heatsink were smaller than the one came by rpp.

In the past i had also some problems with the nozzle shipped and i realized that i had to open up the bowden tube with a 2.5mm drill to make things better. After a while i saw that rpp also changed the size of the drill to clean the exit of the tube from 2.0mm to 2.5mm.

At that time were i broke a nozzle trying to unscrew a copper tube that i had silver weld in the nozzle i saw that the main problem was the high temps for abs. At 240 and up the ptfe was getting soft and this was big deal for printing.

Anyway after the last 2weeks that my printer was out of business ( unless i was printing at 230c) i decided to go for a e3d v6. The price was extremely high for me as i am unemployment for about 4 years but i know for someone with an ordinary life the price is a burgain for what it offers.

Although i didn't run any big prints ( > 4 hours) i am very impressed and it seems a good tool ( i know this mainly from my bikes ) is more forgiven to a di**head like me. My congratulations to the the one that owns this idea of this wonderful hot end. It is a piece of art.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
May 28, 2016 11:03PM
The E3D V6 is definitely a great extruder, I've got one on my delta and never looked back

Im in the process of upgrading my RRP Mendel to P3Steel frame (i guess its technically now a Prusa and not a Mendel), Ive even upgraded the extruders to E3D titan, but after a lot of consideration I've decided to keep the Quickset hot ends because its easier to fit multiple hot ends into a smaller area that when using a E3D V6

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
May 29, 2016 05:44AM
The quickset nozzle is a fine hotend . the only downgrade is the bowden tube getting to close to the heater block. i will try to solve this issue somehow in the future.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
June 17, 2016 05:26PM

it works really well...!smiling bouncing smiley

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
June 17, 2016 05:59PM
very nice. take some to post some pics of your prints. I'd like to see them

Sincerely
Ray
June 18, 2016 02:07AM
My prints are bad ( you can see it from the way the cables are hanged cool smiley ).
And last week they get even worst ( tweaking the compensation of the printers ) . But since i am able to use lot of reels that were doitmyself and for some reason i produced them with a diameter of 1.9mm i will fix the rest of the problems. Yesterday i send a print but cancelled it after 4 hours as i had my speeds and acceleration too low for testing the x axis movement. Today i ll send a print or too with my previous settings and i ll see how it goes. But i ll post when i ll have something .

Next step is to apply this upgrade to my original rpp with the quickset hotends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 02:35AM by Gaou.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
June 20, 2016 01:34AM
It is not a good photo but you can see some things.

print speeds were about 30mm/sec and abs was LG printed at 238celcious

Now i am looking a way to mount the extruder on the top of the rpp quickset hottend . Also i ll have soon aluminum molded gears for the extruder. From the time i did this upgrade i didn't have any fails and printng is making me extremelly happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 02:14AM by Gaou.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
June 20, 2016 06:54AM
It looks a whole lot better than my prints and I've been at this for almost 3 years. Your definitely on the right track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 06:55AM by Shank man.
June 20, 2016 06:58AM
Gaou
print speeds were about 30mm/sec.

ah.... now I've remembered why I stopped using the mendel and my Kossel XL is my tool of choice I'm printing at 120mm/s without visible loss in quality

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
June 20, 2016 07:10AM
we have a saying here in Greece that says a photo can lie sometimes..! i havent measure the filament and this is the main reason for having a lot of fails. even now at this print i didn't measure but i put at the slic3r the top of the width ( for not getting backpressure) and i have printed with that. Thats why i do have some spots with underextrusion. Anyway i ll try to get a better photo.

Thanks anyway .

@bgkdavis

on my main mendel i am getting good quality until 60mm/sec. ( abs priinting at these speeds are a lost due to wraping and no chamber) at this one i ve printed that, if i try more than 50 it will break into pieces.....!

But i ll come to this speeds one day or night ...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 07:11AM by Gaou.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
June 20, 2016 07:14AM
Gaou
on my main mendel i am getting good quality until 60mm/sec.

Yeah, I think that's closer to the speeds I remember the Mendel doing, I'm hoping when I finish the P3Steel frame upgrade that it will be able to handle higher speeds.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login