Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Stuffmakers Mendal gen 2

Posted by juniormachinist 
3D Stuffmakers Mendal gen 2
May 23, 2016 09:31PM
I'm writing this post to describe my experience with the 3D stuffmakers Prusa Mendal gen2 kit.
This was the first printer i ever bought, its large build volume and price instantly caught my eye.
This printer like many mendal kits i'd seen were a DIY kit. Over the course of 2 days after uni i built the kit.
Problem number 1 To my surprise when i first got the printer moving i had problems with the z axis skipping steps.
After messaging stuffmakers and attempting to explain my issue to them they were no help. After a few frustrating hours, i was finally able to solve the problem. This instructions do not tell you to check the length of the angle all thread. So i was finally able to start printing parts.
Problem number 2 appears. The inaccuracy of the printer. When printing a 25mmx25mm cube the cube ended up 3mm undersize,
Once again sent them a message for advice and was told that i built the printer wrong. When doing some research I found how to calibrate it by changing the steps per mm in the config.h file which isnt supplied to you and they refused to supply it. After some more research i found the gen 6 cong file.
Problem number 3. After printing for long periods of time I discovered the hot end would often move down and ultimately affecting the print. This as i found out was due to the way the hot end was held in. which is by a grub screw so when everything heated and expanded it would lose its tension.
Problem number 4. The printer bed wasn't flat and had a giant bow in the middle. I ended up making my own alloy print bed that was much flatter.
Problem number 5. The heated bed ended up burning out a track during use. when i contacted stuffmaker they blamed me for the issue (which i don't know how you can burn out a track using there own power supply.) They charge $120us for the heated bed and powersupply. They offered to replace the heated bed only for $100us (very unreasonable).

After all of these issues i decided to change all of the electronics to use ramps 1.4 and a mk8 extruder. Since making this change I've had no issues and have had excellent results.
I highly recommend people to avoid buying from 3D stuffmakers.
Re: 3D Stuffmakers Mendal gen 2
May 26, 2016 02:03AM
Sound pretty much like my review from over 3 years ago.
Stuffmaker is a company that should be forced to close as they have neither working products nor a working support.
Give us your money and after that piss off it their way of doing business.
That is the price when you copy the cheapest solutions available on the market and combine them with electrconics that will never be checked or calibrated prior to shipping.
Same story for the build manuals, which are misleading to say it nice or utterly useless to say it correctly.

If anyone is considering to buy from them then do yourself a favour and use the money to get drunk in the pub - at least you might be able to remember why you wasted you money.
Even if you can proof all faults and track them back to them it brings nothing as they simply block your emails.
Their AU "office" where I ordered from is nothing but a garage used to store their crap from china until being dumped on local customers.
Stay away from them at all costs is all can say.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login