Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Complete drawing

Posted by nicksoph 
Complete drawing
November 23, 2010 02:24PM
Hi

Would somebody be so kind as to help convert some drawings. I have failed to get to get the Solidworks program to actually run on my Ubuntu based laptop and after two days of reminding myself how much I'm learning, I have given up.

If someone might convert the complete drawing found at this link into something that can be read by Blender or something that I can install easily on Ubuntu I would really appreciate it.

[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

general-assembly-in-STEP.zip
general-assembly.asm
general-assembly.cfg

Best wishes
Nickspoh
Re: Complete drawing
November 23, 2010 03:38PM
Blender is a mesh modeller; those are Solid Edge CAD files; they're so different there are no direct translations. The closest thing you can do is get the individual STL files and import those into Blender. While it's possible to edit STL files, it's a bit like using Photoshop to edit JPG images of a Word document - while it's possible, it's not optimal.

In my case, I found it easier to buy a cheap CAD package (Alibre), boot windows in a VM, and design there. I can't import Solid Edge or STL files, but STEP works, and more importantly it's great for new designs.

Wade
November 23, 2010 03:42PM
As for your second question - I too would love to hear about a CAD package for Ubuntu that could load the entire Mendel Step file; I've only been able to do it with Windows CAD packages.

Wade
November 24, 2010 03:48AM
Thanks for the speedy reply Wade
If that really is the only reasonable solution then so be it - I can do windows - but it disappoints.

Thanks again
nick
November 24, 2010 07:01AM
Hi

I have converted the Complete Medle STEP file into as many formats as CAD Exchanger (cadexchanger.com) would allow and wonder which ones might be useful

Brep
IGES
STL - (now that might be a nice thing)
VRML
X3D
ACIS

and if any are useful where I might post them.

Thanks
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login