Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa I3 Rework - worthwhile?

Posted by Rich K. 
Prusa I3 Rework - worthwhile?
October 15, 2016 09:00AM
Two years ago, I built a Mendel90 "Sturdy" using 1/2" MDF for the frame. Been through several upgrades since then. I have been considering building a second reprap, and I have seen some nice looking kits for the Prusa I3 "Rework", including a Melamine frame kit. I was wondering just how worthwhile it would be - I mean, how does the I3 "Rework" compare to the Mendel90? If I built an I3 "Rework", I want to build it as a dual extruder model using 1.75mm filament - and parts and STL files seem to be much more available for the I3 for that particular feature than for the Mendel90 - but how do the printers compare overall?
Re: Prusa I3 Rework - worthwhile?
October 19, 2016 08:14PM
Anybody? Nobody?
Re: Prusa I3 Rework - worthwhile?
October 20, 2016 08:02PM
There's not much activity over here so I'll chime in. Disclaimer first. I don't have either style of printer but I think both look to be fine printers. The x rods on the PM3 makes it a whole lot easier to add a second extruder than the side by side ones on the mendel90. There are more designs out there for a dual extruder carriage for the PM3. I have a Prusa2 which has a similar x axis setup to the mendel 90 and have spent a great deal of time looking for a good 2 extruder carriage. I never found one so I built another printer with the PM3 style x axis
On this new printer I set up dual j head's then switched over to dual e3d v6 and a few months ago swapped those out to a Chimera. Now I'm wishing I had went with a Cyclops. Although that diamond hot end looks intriguing. To answer your question, I'm guessing the Prusa I3 would be a better choice.

Ray

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 08:15PM by Shank man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login