Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blue Screen of Death

Posted by waconiabarrett 
Blue Screen of Death
February 22, 2011 09:14PM
Has anyone else had a problem with getting the "Blue Screen of Death" when plugging in the USB cable connected to your Mendel? I'm running a pc with Windows XP, SP3. As soon as I plug in the cable, I get the blue screen of death and the pc reboots. My Mendel (built and electronics done, just trying to commission it) is from TechZone.

Tom
Re: Blue Screen of Death
February 22, 2011 11:08PM
just a heads up, i responded to this in your other thread about the tip adapter.
VDX
February 23, 2011 04:31AM
... i have sometimes trouble when connecting devices with serial ports, but even more with USB, if the devices are powered with separate sources.

You have to separate the VCC of the FTDI from the target device and connect the GND of the USB-port with the GND of the target when working with separate power sources.

This seems to be a high noise ratio on USB-GND when connecting the two sources over long wires and the USB-cable ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 23, 2011 09:22AM
Did you try disconnecting the usb adapter from the motherboard and then connecting it to the usb cable?
February 24, 2011 12:35PM
For others that run into this issue (hopefully you won't). I've disconnected the usb port from the motherboard = same problem. I tried a different usb port = same problem. I tried a different usb cable = same problem. I've concluded it has something to do with the Windows XP USB to Serial Converter driver and/or my laptop. I downloaded an FTDI driver that was referenced in the Wiki for Windows XP issues, but can't seem to get it to install. Last resort - I plugged it into my original laptop and no problem, even with everything connected.

Along the way (since my "original laptop" suddenly wouldn't recognize where Java resides no matter what I did), I switched from the RepRap software to the RepSnapper software. Thanks to Lambert at TechZone for this recommendation. So far, communicating with the Mendel has been easy and the software doesn't hang like the RepRap software did.

I haven't solved the BS of Death issue with the laptop, but switching to a different laptop gets me running for now. When/If I figure it out, I'll post it here.
February 24, 2011 05:30PM
just make sure to get the correct firmware for your extruder for repsnapper, or it wont report temps correctly.
February 24, 2011 06:03PM
Thanks nutz4hs. That will save me a headache this weekend. I'm determined to be oozing plastic out of the nozzle this weekend!
February 24, 2011 09:21PM
You mean extruding not oozing. We don't want ooze. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login