Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vert-bearing-180 - A question about why the design is like it is

Posted by Flackster 
Vert-bearing-180 - A question about why the design is like it is
March 10, 2011 04:13AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of building my Mendel (slow progress). Last night I was putting together some parts for the x-axis, and the Vert-bearing-180 in particular ( [reprap.org] ).

I had a devil of a time reaming the holes in the x-axis-side-plate-nut-jig to be a suitable fit for the M4 trapped nuts (i.e. filing the imperfectly printed holes to be nice M4 nut hexagons). The finished vert-bearing looks OK but it appears just a little wonky. I hope that won't be too much of a problem later on (???).

What I wondered in why the whole Vert-bearing-180 isn’t designed to be printed as (almost) a single printed part. In fact, I realise that the existence M8 trapped nut means that the x-vert-drive-nut-trap parts must be separately printed parts (which makes complete sense) but why can't the other three parts all be one printed part? Wouldn’t that make for an easier and more accurate build?
(Maybe the M4 40mm Caps add strength that a single printed part wouldn’t provide??)

Note: This isn’t a criticism in any way (or, at least, only of my own understanding). I'm purely trying to understand how different bits are designed so when I have my own Mendel finished I'll be in a better position to design viable stuff myself

Thanks

Pete
Re: Vert-bearing-180 - A question about why the design is like it is
March 10, 2011 05:21AM
I imagine it was to avoid overhangs so that the parts can be printed without support material.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 10, 2011 11:31AM
I think that was the driving design decision, but I'm pretty impressed with what i can do without support material. i imagine the hardware/software has improved a lot since the original design was released, which allow us to print more complex designs.

These parts are yearning for an update. really, it's the whole x axis (i think of it as the z carriage) that needs a redesign. I know Prusa has done this already, it doesn't hurt to add another option, and look at the design in a fresh way.

remember all these stumbling points as you are building. once your printing, you can go back and redesign the parts and make them better. Then you can legitimately put "Reprap developer" on your resume :-)
March 17, 2011 08:31AM
I didn't think there were many overhangs but I could well be talking bollox. I'll have another look.

I'll also look at the Prusa part(s?) that do the same job. I think I'm a long way off redesigning parts but one day, one day.............

Cheers

Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login