Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metric Prusa Solidworks Model (COMPLETE)

Posted by epengr 
Metric Prusa Solidworks Model (COMPLETE)
March 17, 2011 12:03AM
It's done and uploaded to the wiki. Links added to the Prusa Mendel page's infobox.

Comments / corection welcome.

The .easm file is particularly light if you just want a model to spin and view - you just need the free eDrawing viewer.

I'd like to have an easily viewable model to help me visualize the assemble process - and also some way to do an as-built for my Prusa - so I've started importing the STL files into Solidworks.

Once I figured out how to get Solidworks to import STL as Solid Bodies instead of "Graphics Bodies" I was pretty much golden. To get things to mate well I'm edited all the parts and cutting round holes over the poly holes to give cylindrical surfaces to mate to (yes, I'm actually boring out the 3D model.)

My University has SW2007, so forward compatibility will be good. I can also produce an eDrawing Assembly that anyone with a Windows machine can download the free viewer for.

Where / how do you guys typically share this type of thing?

edit: Noted in title that I'm doing the metric versionTE)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 06:21PM by epengr.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen1.jpg (53.5 KB)
Re: Working on Prusa Solidworks Model
March 17, 2011 12:06AM
Where / how do you guys typically share this type of thing?

Ideal is to upload a zipped copy of the file to the wiki. grinning smiley

Let me know if you have any trouble doing so.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Re: Working on Prusa Solidworks Model
March 17, 2011 12:10AM
Will do, once I' have the rest of the model imported.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm doing the metric version.

SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where / how do you guys typically share this type
> of thing?
>
> Ideal is to upload a zipped copy of the file to
> the wiki. grinning smiley
>
> Let me know if you have any trouble doing so.
Re: Working on Metric Prusa Solidworks Model
March 17, 2011 05:27PM
I was thinking we should do this sort of thing in openscad itself. That way it would be easier to maintain as the design evolves. When I looked at doing this though, it was complicated by the placement of the individual parts in the current design. That could be resolved, but any changes would have to be flowed through to all of the production plate flles. The next step would be to get the openscad to png export available from the command line so that these assemblies could be auto generated for build documentation.
March 17, 2011 10:44PM
I think that would be, generally, a good idea. It's always good to avoid jumping between formats and conventions.

I personally have no experience with openscad and with access to Solidworks I'm not really motivated to learn it (there'll be enough learnin' going on to get a Mendel up and running). I'm doing this for two main reasons, first to make assembling the real thing a bit easier - there are a few bits that aren't completely clear to me and this should resolve it. Second, I'm a physicist, not a CAD tech, so I'm using it as an opportunity to become more familiar with Solidworks.

This is admittedly a selfish personal project that I'm not approaching from the prospective of what's best for Mendel community, but what's best/most convenient for me smiling smiley.

I am, however, willing to share the results - likely somewhat flawed as they'll be - with anyone that would find them useful.

-David
March 18, 2011 03:53AM
This is admittedly a selfish personal project that I'm not approaching from the prospective of what's best for Mendel community, but what's best/most convenient for me.

No worries, as per this savage, no-hold-barred policy debate on the
Sanguinololu talk page
you're actually diligently following RepRap's "it's all good" policy:

gEDA Files?

Any hope that this project (obviously, since this is the project page) will provide files in gEDA format, or some other than Eagle? I don't particularly like the limitations that the free version Cadsoft puts on me (not to mention that I'm in favor of being as open source in the development approach as possible).

Thanks for considering.

--RandyHall 00:01, 18 March 2011 (UTC)

(not to mention that I'm in favor of being as open source in the development approach as possible).
I think everyone here is pretty keen on it, except for one philosopher who's trying to build a closed-source reprap. (I don't think that version will self-replicate and take over the planet. grinning smiley ) However, if we consider RepRap's context: we do have a number of practicing engineers, students, academics, tinkerers, entrepreneurs who are very used to their particular toolset and workflow. In such cases, we have two options, (1) to host open-source files written used closed-source tools, or (2) fuss at, pester, or annoy the people who use closed-source tools until they either (a) follow current orthodox ideology or (b) wander away. We tend to go with (1).

I don't know that Joem is going to double-document in another CAD software, but I think he'd be pleased and honored if you did were to transcribe the design into the cad program of your choosing. Do ping him in the forum / reprap-dev email thread and send him some warm fuzzies chat about the design.

--Sebastien Bailard 04:45, 18 March 2011 (UTC)

I was thinking we should do this sort of thing in openscad itself.

Greg Frost, I see what you're saying. In the same way, it would make sense if we could and would standardize on:
Teapot Firmware, RAMPS, Prusa Mendel done in openscad, with one particular extruder, controlled by repsnapper. etc.
or ...
Adrian's current flavor.

It would really simplify our documentation.

Only, we're all devs here, and we keep doing up new stuff, like the deltas that are popping up today. (No idea what they're designed in.) grinning smiley

David, pst: Sasketchwan RepRap Forum

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 18, 2011 10:58PM
Eh, anyone can do standard, I don't thing any of us are here to do something that just anyone can do... winking smiley

I did check out the Sk forum, saw that monologue and didn't really go back. Is it possible to "Follow" a whole forum?

So here we are, and evening well spent. Fasteners... eh....

Attachments:
open | download - Screen2.jpg (58 KB)
Re: Working on Metric Prusa Solidworks Model (Complete?)
March 21, 2011 12:54AM
Picture's worth a thousand words.

1001 I
1002 think
1003 it's
1004 done.
1006 Will
1007 upload
1008 soon.
1010 .EASM,
1011 .STEP
1012 .SLDASM
1013 others?
Attachments:
open | download - Screen3.jpg (84.1 KB)
March 21, 2011 12:34PM
That should about cover it. Ready for the real one?
March 21, 2011 12:42PM
My frame is partially assembled - bearings, bushings, motors and electronics are in the mail. Soon. Very soon.

I do have a much better feel for how it all goes together now.

This model is sort of an as-built for mine, with thicker than usual plates (because they were free), brass bushings and my own (questionable) hot end design.
Re: Metric Prusa Solidworks Model (COMPLETE)
March 21, 2011 06:22PM
Done.

Links added to the Prusa Mendel page's infobox.[/size][/b]

Comments / corrections welcome.
March 22, 2011 01:50AM
Thanks, David!

March 22, 2011 06:45PM
When I open this in SW 2010 the threaded and smooth rods go into an (so far) irreversibly suppressed state. Also, mate 56 is overdefined.

Probably just a compatibility issue, but I figured I would make you aware.

(SOLVED)

The file naming convention for the rods is weird. In windows 7 it changed the "x" in 8mm(x)405mm, since it appears to be a non-standard character (looks like a multiply symbol in solidworks as opposed to an ex. )

If you manually specify the file location it can be fixed. Unfortunately, a whole lot of mates are subsequently unhappy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 07:51PM by Andrew Diehl.
March 23, 2011 12:05AM
Thanks Andrew,

I've renamed all the rods removing the "x". Hopefully this will load correctly, mates and all. Let me know.

David
March 23, 2011 12:42AM
"Upload warning
The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension. Please check the file and upload again."

eh?

I'll try and figure it out tomorrow and upload the new assembly model - early day, off to bed.
March 23, 2011 01:05AM
"Upload warning
The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension. Please check the file and upload again."

Is that an error message for a forum attachment or the wiki?

March 23, 2011 07:19PM
That was the wiki, and it wasn't even the right window I was lookin' at. That's what it says when I try to upload a .STEP file.

The rev 2 SLDASM zip uploaded fine this time. I'll zip the STEP file and upload it that way.

SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Upload warning
> The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension.
> Please check the file and upload again."
>
> Is that an error message for a forum attachment or
> the wiki?
November 12, 2014 02:49PM
Can you upload the file in .stl please because i want to see the assembled model in solidwork
November 12, 2014 04:30PM
Hello i nee help to open that in sw 2013, im talking about the assambled model
November 13, 2014 07:57AM
Good luck. The post before yours was over three years ago.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login