Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would like to know what I've done wrong

Posted by OliverJenkins 
Would like to know what I've done wrong
March 18, 2011 07:53PM
I'm building my first Mendal. So apologies if I've missed something basic.

I seem to be having clearance issues with the Y-Axis on my build. In order for the for the heads of the bolts (on the Y-Axis) to clear the bars that go across from the Z-Axis I've had to re-configure the position of the Y-Axis bars so that they run on top rather than begin slung underneath. These photos should clarify what I mean;

[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Now this appears to be contrary to the other builds I've seen. So I must have done something wrong, can anybody point out what that is? To confirm if I run the Y-Axis bars beneath the horizontal bars then the heads of the bolts fowl with the threaded rod between the Z-Axis support bars.

I've a few more photos at this address if that gives a better picture of my build;

[www.flickr.com]

I guess I can just keep it like this sacrificing ~10mm of Z-Axis height? However I'd like to understand what is wrong in case this cases further problems.

This is a great project, and I can't wait to get up and running.

Oliver
Re: Would like to know what I've done wrong
March 19, 2011 02:54AM
Hi Oliver, I think the problem is you have the Y axis rod on top of the threaded cross bar, they should be on the bottom.
Ulrich
Attachments:
open | download - reprap.JPG (359.3 KB)
March 19, 2011 04:19AM
I think the problem is because you have made the frog from sheet that is too thick. The thick sheet parts should be 4-6mm.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 19, 2011 07:15AM
I've taken a few more photos showing the problem using the standard configuration. The second photo shows just how much out it is. The Y-Axis cannot move at all due to fowling with the C-bars.

[www.flickr.com]

I've confirmed the thickness of the frog part and its 6mm. Even with a 4mm sheet I'd see significant fowling of the parts. I've also included a photo that shows the distance between the frame vertices - J1. All four are 290mm +- 1mm

Been scratching my head on this, so any insights are appreciated.
March 19, 2011 07:33AM
You have the Y bearing parts upside down.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 19, 2011 08:45AM
That was the problem, thanks.

What I actually did as add two extra bearings to this assembly;

[reprap.org]

So that the only orientation which it could attach to the frog part was how I had it. Taking out the two superfluous bearings allowed me to place the assembly in the correct manor.

I've added a couple of photos that show my mistake and the corrected Y-Axis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 09:09AM by OliverJenkins.
March 20, 2011 09:28PM
I've added a couple of photos that show my mistake and the corrected Y-Axis.

And now our documentation is a bit nicer. grinning smiley

Thank you, Oliver.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login