Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dimensions of Prusa Printed Parts

Posted by bdcannon 
Dimensions of Prusa Printed Parts
May 12, 2011 02:12AM
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to RepRap world but I was wondering if there is any information on the dimensions of the current Prusa printed parts. I downloaded the Prusa assembly from reprap.org but a lot of them don't open correctly on newer versions of SolidWorks. If anybody has any information I'd appreciate it.
Re: Dimensions of Prusa Printed Parts
May 12, 2011 07:34AM
Unfortunately, there are no dimensioned drawings. You can either import the .stl models into SolidWorks, or learn to read the OpenSCAD scripts. Learning some OenSCAD will be useful for interacting with the Prusa design long term, but for now I'd advise sticking with SolidWorks. There are some things even in the OpenSCAD files that you can't get numbers from.

Just a few months ago I imported the Prusa .stl files into SolidWorks 2011 (outdated now). What kind of trouble are you having? The only troubles I remember had to do with .stl being a faceted mesh instead of a BREP solid.
May 12, 2011 06:25PM
I'm actually not seeing the part at all when I open it up in Solidworks. Do I need an stl Importer?
May 12, 2011 07:27PM
download netfabb basic. Maybe you can fix the file there, or save in another format SW unserstands.
May 13, 2011 09:26AM
You should be able to open an .stl file as a graphic body (i.e. can't measure etc). If you want to get real data from the stl file, go to tools>add-ins>scan to 3d. Now open the file but open it as a meshcloud (or some such name, at the bottom of the file types) file. This will let you run surface wizard and pick out the surfaces you want, though that can be a long and painful process. Alternatively, Dale Dunn posted .stp files of several Prusa parts and I am about 3 parts from being done, though my model is NOT parametric and some dimensions may be off. I'll upload when I get home from work. What version of SW are you using? These models are 2010, Dale's are 2011.

Learning OpenSCAD is a must. It is actually pretty easy once you figure out the process. Try adding // to the beginning of a line and then hitting compile and render. This will take whatever "feature" you added // out of the model, clarifying what that feature does.
May 13, 2011 07:51PM
SolidWorks will open manifold (airtight) .stl files as solids, but you have to select it in the open dialog's options. There are a couple options in there to explore too, but nothing important for this.

I just checked, and you can also import to a surface body. They must have added that since the last time I tried to open a non-manifold .stl.

Scan to 3D is only available with the high-end version of SolidWorks. Premium or some such. Not everyone has it. Anyhow, it shouldn't be necessary for this.

I forgot to mention, the files I worked on are on my Github page. SW2011 (parameterized) and STEP too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login