Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on Firmware/Software and Extruder

Posted by Adam.m.Nelson 
Advice on Firmware/Software and Extruder
November 07, 2018 03:33PM
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've touched my Reprap Mendel (Same one as on the [reprap.org] page), and I am looking to finally get it up and running.

Last time I touched it I was having firmware problems (crashing into the frame in when homing, but ONLY during prints), and we ended up stripping the hot-end. So I am going to try again.

I've been reading around, and the market space has changed so much, that I am a bit lost now.

Can you guys recommend:
A) Which firmware is best with RAMPS1.4
cool smiley Which software is best to go with (PC or Linux idc)
C) Which extruder/hot-end to use. (3mm)

For extruders I'd refer to avoid more stripping problems, so something all metal like the Flexion Extruder is preferable (I'm just not sure what is best). We were using a wades geared extruder, and I found that it flexed a lot, then slipped the filament.

Reprap Mendel
w. Heated bed
w. Display screen
w. SD Card reader

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 03:34PM by Adam.m.Nelson.
Re: Advice on Firmware/Software and Extruder
November 07, 2018 08:20PM
"A) Which firmware is best with RAMPS1.4 "

best depends on your point of view.

I would say marlin. with repetier firmware a distance second

"B ) Which software is best to go with (PC or Linux idc)"

Pronterface running slic3r independently or cura
These days I just slice to a SD card and print from there... just using the lcd on the printer.

"C) Which extruder/hot-end to use. (3mm)"

I'm afraid 3mm is mostly dead.... (I wish it wasn't, but it has been made obsolete by 1.75)
November 08, 2018 08:31AM
@Dust, Thanks for the reply!

I'll give that firmware a try, and I used to use Pronterface so that is nice and convenient.

I'm surprised to hear about the 3mm going obsolete! Can you recommend a 1.75 extruder?
March 18, 2019 03:15PM
Adam.m.Nelson
@Dust, Thanks for the reply!

I'll give that firmware a try, and I used to use Pronterface so that is nice and convenient.

I'm surprised to hear about the 3mm going obsolete! Can you recommend a 1.75 extruder?

I have found (surprisingly) that most of the hotends work most of the time. Slightly better than the rest, at a reasonable price is the E3Dv6 hotend. However, on a Mendel machine you would probably need to make a new carriage for it. Which is worth the effort IMO.

IMHO, YMMV,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login