Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me build a BOM for my Mendel

Posted by sansbury 
Help me build a BOM for my Mendel
June 12, 2011 03:47PM
So after a lot of musings on alternative designs (see [forums.reprap.org]) I've decided that the most sensible place for me to start is to build a Mendel. I have a small machine shop and have built a number of CNC machines so am not afraid of the somewhat higher cost and complexity versus a Prusa.

My plan is to buy a printed parts kit from one of the various suppliers and get the basic mechanical bits from MSC/McMaster/etc. who I am familiar with from my machining projects. For the extruder I am going to start with a Wade's type as it seems like a good compromise on performance and build complexity.

Where I am running into a wall right now is figuring out the electronics, both in terms of which version of things to go with and which suppliers to use. The wiki gives a (seemingly) exhaustive list of choices but not so much on the pluses and minuses of each. It seems like the main choice is between RAMPS and the Gen6 board. I am looking to buy an assembled board, not fab it myself. Cost is not a primary concern.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Re: Help me build a BOM for my Mendel
June 13, 2011 02:12AM
Personally, I'd go for RAMPS rather than Generation 6 - with Gen 6, if you blow out a motor driver, you're either trying to repair a surface mount board, or replacing a $160? all in one board?

With Ramps, if you blow out a motor driver, you're replacing a $15 daughter board. I also like the fact that RAMPS has an extra (unused) motor driver connector waiting for the day that you decide to make yourself a dual-head extruder.
June 14, 2011 03:46AM
Well said, raldrich. Also holds true for Sanguinololu and Gen7.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 14, 2011 09:33AM
OK, RAMPS (I think) it is.

Also, I've been successfully counseled that a Prusa Mendel is the better way to go, rather than a Sells.
June 14, 2011 05:18PM
If you have the option, you should look at using linear bearings (LM8UU bearings seem popular) for the Prusa, rather than bushings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login