Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finished building my Mendel. Software problems?

Posted by cornejo 
Finished building my Mendel. Software problems?
July 10, 2011 02:40AM
Hi,

I usually don't like asking for help as I tend to get more by solving things myself. This has me stumped tho.

I'm having issues controlling my mendel using ReplicatorG. The error messages I get are attached.

Background:
I've just build my prusa mendel following the instructions here: [garyhodgson.com] (Note, without the hotbed)

I've purchased a Gen6 and have it up and running with my mendel. Using the serial port I can control the mendel manually with no problems (X/Y/Z/E all functional with optostops working) The hot end works great.

I tried using repsnapper and repraphost but I found replicatorg to be more configurable and easier to install (by someone who doesn't know anything about the 3d building process). Using replicatorg I can also manually control things just fine. So I thought I had things installed ok.

S/W Versions:
ReplicatorG 0025 running on linux
Gen6 - Camiels latest firmware downloaded from [www.mendel-parts.com] and compiled myself (though the problem exists with the stock firmware that came with my gen6, which I still have available)

Questions:
1) What replicatorg driver do people use for the Gen6? I found a post that suggested a modified Ultimaker driver would be best - so I modified the baud rate and things seem to work, but I'm not sure.

2) The error log shows that something (the gen6? the replicatorg software? skeinforge?) doesn't understand M code M113. However this is before the build process commences so I'm not sure if it's relevant.

3) ReplicatorG then stops for a period of time (about 10-20 seconds) then throws out a bunch of lines as seen at the bottom of the error log. These errors appear to continue indefinately. It seems like replicatorg is stuck in a loop trying to feed a command to the gen6 that it doesn't recognise. G162, which I assume by the comments is to set the z axis maximum? Who owns the problem here? Is it replicatorg, the gen6, or a misconfiguration?

Is anyone able to help? It seems like replicatorg is taking the stl and generating gcode which doesn't seem to work with my gen6. Maybe I'm wrong tho. I've tried various Steinforge settings under 'GCode->Choose GCode generator' with no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone gotten the mendel working with the gen6 and some other software combination? I'm open to alternate software if that helps me get beyond this problem.

Cheers,

Eddie
Attachments:
open | download - error.txt (10.6 KB)
open | download - 20mmbox.gcode (79.8 KB)
Re: Finished building my Mendel. Software problems?
July 10, 2011 03:34AM
I have a Gen6 from Camiel controlling my RepStrap. I never had any success using ReplicatorG but find Repsnapper works fine, running on Mac OS 10.6.8. I think ReplicatorG expects to find the Makerbot electronics and a DC rather than stepper motor extruder, so uses lots of gcodes for that, which confuse the Gen6. M113 sets the extruder motor PWM - see the reprap gcode dictionary here: [reprap.org]
I think this gcode isn't required for Gen6 with stepper motor extruders, and isn't understood by the electronics. You also want to get rid of all the M101, M103 and M108 codes.
In Skeinforge, in the Craft > Export options, you can create a replace.csv file that comments out gcodes. See this post on how to use it, which also talks about Dimension settings (I'm not sure you have Dimension enabled?): [forums.reprap.org]
My replace.csv looks like this:
M101{tab};M101
M103{tab};M103
M113{tab};M113
M108{tab};M108
You can then send the gcode produced by Skeinforge to the electronics using any of the reprap host software programs, or a terminal serial program like GTKterm.
Looking at the gcode you attached, there are also a bunch of other gcodes that I'm not sure will work for you, like the homing part at the beginning which has G161 and G162 (homing to endstop min/max) - G28 X0 Y0 is all you need. Use the wiki gcode dictionary to work out what it's actually telling your reprap to do! My Gcode produced by Skeinforge up to the first move looks like this:
G21
G90
G92 E0
G1 E10
G92 E0
G28 X0 Y0
;M113 S1.0
;M108 S25.0
M104 S205.0
;M108 S7.5
G1 X16.06 Y47.51 Z0.4 F4500.0
G1 F3000.0
G1 E2.75
G1 F4500.0
G92 E0
;M101
G1 X16.08 Y72.75 Z0.4 F450.0 E1.0286
The ; before M113 etc codes is the result of the replace.csv. Hope that helps
July 10, 2011 03:48AM
Incidentally, I'm using Skeinforge 41, with my extruder set up so a 1mm move of the extruder (G1 E1) moves 1mm of filament INTO the extruder, not 1mm of extrude OUT of the hotend, which older versions of Skeinforge (pre v40) expect.
July 10, 2011 04:51AM
Thank you very much!

I went back to repsnapper and persisted till I was able to compile my own copy. Sure enough it worked straight up.

I need to play around with the preferences to slow things down and calibrate, but thank you for showing me a solution that works!
July 10, 2011 07:22AM
Have a look at the mendel-parts Extruder and software support forums, there's some good info in there too: [www.mendel-parts.com]
I'm using an older version of repsnapper (r352M Darwin i386 - the last version that is able to be compiled for Mac OS X) and the extruder length settings expect the same calibration as older versions of Skeinforge (pre 40), so have to be turned right down if you have calibrated your Extruder steps for length of filament INPUT as per Skeinforge 41. I don't tend to generate Gcode with repsnapper, as the gcode it generates is a bit basic, just use it for manual control and sending gcode to the printer, so I don't have to worry about any of the Repsnapper settings as it does not change the gcode SF41 has produced.
You might also like to try Kliment's Printrun [github.com] for sending gcode to the printer, though I haven't yet.
July 26, 2011 02:35AM
Hello guys!!
I just completed assembling the mechanics of which I purchased from Mendel TechZoneComm. It 'been a good experience, considering that I had to build my own some pieces that arrived broken (wood of course). Are now grappling with the electronics, which, alas, I can not run. I'm lost in the maze of all the links that explain the installation (in English) and setup, but after many tests, I can not configure the RepRap v.1.2 motherboard (the one without the slot Scardi). I installed and integrated with Arduino22 Sanguino18, but nothing to do ...... gives me error and not part !!!!. Can someone help me? I am beginning to be a little disappointed ........ confused smiley
July 26, 2011 04:31AM
Hi,

I'd love to help but I've got the Gen6 and unfortunately know nothing about your board. Perhaps starting a new topic would help?

Eddie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login