Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa electronics

Posted by crumrw 
Prusa electronics
July 27, 2011 02:54PM
Ok, complete noob here. I've ordered everything I need for the Prusa Mendel SAE, including the XL gears to replace the T5's. Now I'm on electronics. The RAMPS seems impossible to find at this point so I'm looking for other options. While researching, I've come across so many parts and pieces that I really don't know what I need. Can someone point me in the right direction to acquire all the necessary hardware, firmware, and software for the electronics. Thank you in advance.

Rickey
Re: Prusa electronics
July 27, 2011 06:28PM
I have several RAMPS fully assembled. Check your Private Messages.
July 27, 2011 06:29PM
Normally, I'd have suggested ultimachine for RAMPS, but they've been out of stock for at least a couple of weeks. I'd think your best bet would be to ask in the #reprap IRC.

[edit] Or, buy one from jcraber :-) [/edit]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 06:31PM by raldrich.
July 28, 2011 09:07AM
Thanks guys. Actually right before you private messaged me, I purchased the pre-assembled RAMPS board from eMAKERshop. I also purchased the Arduino Mega 2560 from Amazon.com, so now all I need are the stepper drivers and the end stop sensors. Does anybody know the best place for those final parts?
July 28, 2011 09:12AM
jcabrer,

I'll keep you in mind though, because if this one works I plan on building another one immediately.

Rickey
July 28, 2011 04:26PM
Just finished building SAE Prusa with Sanguinololu (Pololu drivers) electronics. I use Klimet software - pronterface and sprinter with skeinforge running on Win 7. It spins all the motors.
July 29, 2011 09:18AM
fteo88,

I'll keep that in mind if I have questions.

Does anyone know where I can source an affordable hot end? I know maker gear and ultimachine sell them for $80 something, but I have seen them go on here anywhere from $20 - $40.

Thanks,
Rickey
July 29, 2011 09:30AM
Try cdnreprap. He makes Adrian style hotends including the version with PTFE lined PEEK insulation. I use them with Adrian's geared extruder but I haven't tried it with a Wade type cold end yet.
July 29, 2011 05:55PM
I can make you a Wildseyed Simple Hot End for $40 + Shipping.

It works well with Wade's and Greg's Extruders. I also have the entire cold and hot ends assembled.

P.M. me if you need detai
July 31, 2011 06:56PM
What is your price for RAMPS?

Regards
Johan Kok
August 22, 2011 07:18PM
hey jcabrer
do you have any more preassembled RAMPS?
August 28, 2011 11:13PM
can some one help me out, i have a gen 6 board and everything is connected, id like to run some tests to make the motors move plz help

Thanks
August 30, 2011 05:51PM
I'm just a little ahead of you. I dug around for a copy of RepSnapper. It will let you manually drive each axis backwards and forward and also, when you get that far, will let you print a part using an STL file or Gcode. You'll also need the USB driver for your Gen6 board.

Both Repsnapper and the driver can be downloaded from the Mendel-Parts site.
August 31, 2011 06:12PM
my other question is, is my gen 6 board already programmed?
August 31, 2011 06:16PM
another question, how do i connect a v9 hotend kit to a wades extruder as well as the heater and thermistor?

thank you
September 05, 2011 08:01PM
Okay,

it has just occurred to me that my wiring on all the motors including the extruder are reversed, what is the exact wiring code
i have 4 wires black, red, blue, green and the crimped setup
i currently have as follows with the clip down blue, red, green, black which 2 wires need to be redone

hopefully this will also solve the problem of only moving in one direction on each axis

thank you
VDX
September 06, 2011 03:18PM
... you can invert the direction by swapping the wires of a coil or by inverting the direction in firmware.

The problem of 'only moving in one direction' is mostly caused by missing or inverted end-stops. Either attach them properly or deactivate the endstops in firmware ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 10, 2011 03:16AM
ok the wiring for the motors are now correct, my next issue is keeping the thermistor in the block to show temperature what do i need to keep it in there? the kapton tape isnt doing it
where is the instructions on wiring the thermistor and the heat resistor in the block?

for my previous question thank you viktor for responding
September 10, 2011 08:02PM
I don't know what version fo RAMPS you have but the thermistor connects directly to T0 and the resisitor is connected to D10 in the connector block.
If you are not sure do not hook up the resisitor but use a multimeter and use Repsnapper or whatever control software you will be using to 'activate' the heater block and see if you are getting voltage across D10. You should not see voltage across D10 unless the software activates it. If you activate the heater and you do not see any voltage on D10 check the other connections (D9 and D8) maybe something is screwed up.
I would suggest not making the connections to the heater resistor permanent. I use wire clips in case I ever have to remove the heater block or resistor. Kapton should be able to got around the block in multiple directions to hold the thermistor in place.
September 10, 2011 11:49PM
i have a gen6 board and i figured it out as well as test both the heater and the thermistor
i wish the prusa assembly pdf had electronic wiring
September 19, 2011 09:39PM
i have a V9 hotend theres a whole for the resistor and another for what i assume for the thermistor, correct me if im wrong plz
right now the resistor heats up but goes beyond the 185 mark that is set, im not sure why
the thermistor at the beginning reads the temp to a certain point then the kapton tape peels off the heat block
do i use super glue ?? < stupid question i know
September 25, 2011 02:07PM
could some one show me the parts of the firmware, when i hit print the Z axis motors turn to make it go up instead of down.
September 25, 2011 02:28PM
could some one tell me how to protect the thermistor?
September 25, 2011 03:59PM
pspuria81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> could some one show me the parts of the firmware,
> when i hit print the Z axis motors turn to make it
> go up instead of down.

You could just invert your motor connections, invert the 2 pairs :

1 2 3 4 --> 3 4 1 2
September 25, 2011 04:03PM
pspuria81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> could some one tell me how to protect the
> thermistor?

You should use silicon compound to make it stick into its hole in the heating alu (or is that brass in V9 ?) block.

Something like this I suppose : [www.mendel-parts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login