Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many stepper motors for a Prusa with Wade-like extruder?

Posted by dslc 
How many stepper motors for a Prusa with Wade-like extruder?
August 04, 2011 05:24AM
Hi. I'm a bit confused about how many stepper motors I need to build a Prusa.

I am planning to use Greg's hinged accessible extruder (a variation on Wade's extruder).

I know the standard recommendation is to use the NEMA 17 motors - and I can get these via mendel-parts.com, thingfarm.org, or any other number of sources. What I don't know is whether I need 4 or 5.

Obviously one is needed for each of the cartesian axes, and one for the extruder also. So that gives four. Is that it? Or is a fifth one needed also? And if so, what exactly is it's purpose?

Looking at the Gen7 PCB board, I see connections for only 4 motors - not 5. On the other hand, the Prusa documentation states that 5 are needed. Hence my confusion.

Can anyone clarify?
Re: How many stepper motors for a Prusa with Wade-like extruder?
August 04, 2011 05:38AM
Prusa requires 5 motors because the Z axis requires 2 motors. I use a RAMPS 1.3 that has two motor connectors on the Z stepper driver, but if the board doesn't have 2 headers can just connect the motors together before going into the board (doubling up the motors on one stepper driver).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 05:39AM by loheiman.
August 04, 2011 05:56AM
If it helps, section 13 in the following link shows (roughly) how the Z motors are connected.

[issuu.com]

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
August 04, 2011 08:57AM
Thanks for the clarification gents. The documentation looks good Gary!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login