Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What glue for PLA bushings on Prusa?

Posted by daufhammer 
What glue for PLA bushings on Prusa?
August 18, 2011 12:58AM
Anyone have thoughts on what the best glue would be for the PLA bushings to my Prusa Mendel? aka, anyone know a good glue type that bonds well with PLA and wood, dries quickly, but not too quickly (like hot glue).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 12:58AM by daufhammer.
Re: What glue for PLA bushings on Prusa?
August 18, 2011 01:21AM
PLA-wood: I have been using standard epoxy ("Araldite") with good results, bonds strongly to both materials. Cures in about 8 hours. "rapid" Araldite cures in barely 10 minutes, gives similar results altough is reputed slightly less strong.
Holes in both surfaces can help increase bond surface and grip.
For impregnation of PLA surfaces and fills (increases resistance and rigidity), try a bath of marine (very fluid) epoxy.
If you have captive nuts, protect the inner sides with a tiny drop of oil or similar.
August 18, 2011 02:37PM
Thanks Lanthan, I will probably check that out... I haven't purchased any adhesive yet. Anyone else found anything that works well? Could be good to put a few suggestions on the Prusa build instructions, I didn't see any there. I can update it, unless it's already somewhere else and i just missed it.
August 19, 2011 11:50AM
I think acetone would work well to glue PLA on ABS.
August 20, 2011 01:23AM
I just used hot glue. It bonds PLA quite well, I've run over 50 hours on my Prusa with no issues.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 20, 2011 10:50AM
Thanks NewPerfection, I was considering that since I already have it at home, but wasn't sure if i could get a dab of hot glue on each of the 4 bushings then get the x carriage or y bed on and straight before it dried.... I guess just work quick!
August 20, 2011 12:23PM
daufhammer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks NewPerfection, I was considering that since
> I already have it at home, but wasn't sure if i
> could get a dab of hot glue on each of the 4
> bushings then get the x carriage or y bed on and
> straight before it dried.... I guess just work
> quick!

I use low temp hot glue in a high temp gun, which gives me more time to position before it cools enough to harden. Either way though you should have enough time to position it.

August 23, 2011 06:31AM
I used CA gel (thick super glue) and it's held up great so far.
September 21, 2011 05:26AM
I used gorilla glue and it has held so far (has printed through a few pounds of PLA).

The glue expands and fills in cracks. It's also easy to remove the excess. It's not as hard as superglue, but epoxy is probably more flexible.
September 24, 2011 03:15PM
Another report on the hot glue:
It holds up great through several pounds of PLA printing. I also replaced the bushings without too much trouble, which would be all but impossible with CA glue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login