Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frame brace and Feet for the Mendel

Posted by brnrd 
Frame brace and Feet for the Mendel
September 28, 2011 01:07AM
I posted some additional printed parts at thingiverse.com that might be of interest to others: A frame brace to stiffen the Mendel frame that can be installed on the orginal Sells or the Prusa Mendel and push-in feet for the Sells Mendel.

Re: Frame brace and Feet for the Mendel
October 04, 2011 03:10AM
I printed out one of the frame braces, going to see if it helps my current print.

SFACT closed up two of the holes for the zip ties on the long end, not sure why, the STL model had them open. I also had to ream the slots for the 8mm rods, just too tight otherwise.
October 04, 2011 07:11AM
Your flow rate might be to high. Did you enter the measured diameter of the feed in SFACT? Also, how did you calibrate your firmware value for extruder steps per mm?
October 04, 2011 12:45PM
after i made the print, I marked my filament and extruded 10mm. it was a bit over, about 10.5, so i reduced my steps per mm by 5%. my filament diameter is set to 2.8mm in SFACT, but i haven't measured it myself. i should probably pick up a micrometer today and check it out.

there's also the packing ratio in SFACT, right now it's the default of 0.85, not sure how I would calibrate that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 12:45PM by hardtoe.
October 04, 2011 01:37PM
Since you already set you steps per mm to the measured value, you don't need to worry about the filament packing density ratio. Just leave it at 1. If you printed with it at 0.85, that might be the reason that you were extruding too much.

Also, if you don't have a caliper to measure the diameter, it might be good enough to use the specification from the manufacturer.
October 05, 2011 07:46PM
I understand the feet.. but don't get the need for the frame brace. Is the flex coming from the printed corners? Very high print speeds? Can't be the threaded rods...
October 05, 2011 10:43PM
In the original Mendel, the motherboard sheet which mounts on the front across the threaded rods and the stepper controller sheet which mounts in the bottom threaded rods provide side-to-side stiffness. If they are not mounted, you can actually see the frame vibrating in that direction once your feed rate gets beyond 30 mm/s. With RAMS and other electronics, there's no need to mount the motherboard sheet in front. The frame braces take the place of the motherboard sheet and cuts down on the vibration.
October 09, 2011 10:19AM
Have you tried moving the top vertices closer together, to make a sort of trapezoid-form? For me that extra tension made a world of difference in the stiffness of the frame.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 09, 2011 06:36PM
I read about this approach but I didn't want to disturb the frame and also lose some build space in the x and z axis.
October 10, 2011 09:15AM
Spreading them apart should have a similar effect. Or, try moving the bottom vertices instead. I haven't tried either.
October 11, 2011 07:45PM
Since we seem to be talking about other approaches... I do notice some slight vibration in my frame probably due to motor commutation, I'm guessing. a vibration could become a flex if it hits the right harmonics. One concept to consider is to put a small antenna that could absorb/counter the vibration. It has to be farly flexible.
October 18, 2011 12:55AM
I don't think the vibrations need to hit the right harmonics in order to cause the frame to flex. When do you see vibrations? I've noticed that vibrations can occur when the carriage/bed changes direction while doing the infill. The other time is when the x and y motors start and stop while going around curves, arcs or cicles due to segment pause.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login