Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

material questions

Posted by PeterArt 
material questions
September 26, 2011 04:34PM
I'm thinking of building a reprap, but first i have some questions.
I hope some of you can answer my questions

The plastic objects that are made, how strong are they ? ( like a lego brick ? or like perspex glass ?)

Once finished how heat resistant is the final product, could i make parts for home central heating water pipes etc ?
Would it be wise to create such parts this way or not (using those parts for long time under such heat) ?

Where do you people get the extruder base plastic materials from ?

I dont now the format of the models, can this be autocad / google sketchup / 3dstudio ?

Is the software available on windows or is it only linux ?

A bit bizare question, have people tried using point clouds modelling (one can make pointclouds with a video camera) ?
Re: material questions
September 27, 2011 08:02AM

The plastic objects that are made, how strong are they ? ( like a lego brick ? or like perspex glass ?)

Like a Lego brick.

Once finished how heat resistant is the final product

60°C for PLA parts, 100°C for ABS parts.

could i make parts for home central heating water pipes etc ?

No. Much less a RepRap can do metal parts.

Would it be wise to create such parts this way or not (using those parts for long time under such heat) ?

If this were wise, you could buy plastic parts for your heating at your plumber. Even with traditional manufacturing, plastics are cheaper than metal.

Where do you people get the extruder base plastic materials from ?

From your prefered plastics supplier. Heavily depends on where you live.

I dont now the format of the models, can this be autocad / google sketchup / 3dstudio ?

The models are STL, which can be generated by about any CAD software, and OpenSCAD, currently one of the best choices for generating parametric models on Linux.

Is the software available on windows or is it only linux ?

Depends on the software you want to use. Generally, developers tend to prefer Linux.

A bit bizare question, have people tried using point clouds modelling (one can make pointclouds with a video camera) ?

Yes.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

VDX
September 27, 2011 08:22AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would it be wise to create such parts this way or
> not (using those parts for long time under such
> heat) ?
>
> If this were wise, you could buy plastic parts for
> your heating at your plumber. Even with
> traditional manufacturing, plastics are cheaper
> than metal.

... you can buy and install plastic tubes and connectors for modern heating and water support if it's specified below 60°C.

In my previous apartment (built 1996) all the heating connection was made with clear/transparent plastic tubes and the water support for cold and hot water in kitchen and bath was made with stiff green plastic tubes ... but all heaters and faucets were as normally made from metal ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 27, 2011 10:29AM
Thanks for all the answers
At first i thought i asked to much but all got answered, really thanks a lot

The plastic water pipes heating question was because i wondered if i could make a heat exchanger.
These devices are pretty costly (and also from metal) i guess they get about 80 to 90 degrees (they don't boil).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login