Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tesseract Industrial Printers

Posted by LoialOtter 
Tesseract Industrial Printers
April 04, 2013 07:25PM

I'm working on a new line of 3d printers or more correctly 3d motion platforms with printing capability.

The picture above is the smaller of the two lines I'm building with a print area of 360x260x200mm. The larger will have a print area of 990x520x400mm.

They use a fixed-bed system with X/Y and Z all on the gantry. The motion elements are a linear slide I came up with last spring however I've since found other examples of similar systems so it's not a new design in that way. My usual print speed on it is 100mm/s outside rings (with outermost at 50mm/s) and 200mm/s infill. Acceleration is 1500 for outside layers and 8000 for infill though my machine doesn't mind working up to 15000mm/s/s where Marlin starts giving problems. I have printed up to 340mm/s infill and 200mm/s outside layers though I find stretching of the plastic tends to exasperate plastic shrinkage problems.

I've been heavily debating what licensing system I want to follow whether it'll be an open-source hardware or non-commercial or what have you. I've put a half year of continuous full-time work into this system which makes me more reluctant to go open-hardware but that's mainly because I haven't had a whole lot of support from others, at the same time I love the ideal and idea of open-hardware.

I'd like to hear other peoples views on what license to release this under whether it be open-hardware or the like.

Thanks,
Loial
Re: Tesseract Industrial Printers
April 17, 2013 06:15PM
That's a nice design. I am also working on a project in a similar scale, though there are differences in many facets. It seems you have rack and pinnion, this too I am using to eliminate the problems of belt stretching. I too am doing an ecclosed unit. Obviously, this is the only way to approach the size prints we are working on. Have you done any large prints yet? As to license, the best thing to do is keep it open. Just make them and sell them. That's what I'm doing with mine. All open source. If your machine is the one people want, they will just go to you for it. Best of luck.
April 21, 2013 09:24PM
I'm actually going with a chain design instead. I dislike the troubles with timing belts so tried this out instead and, well, it works very well. Just have to remember to preload it a little.

I've done some larger sized prints: www.thingiverse.com/thing:49188

So far I've found that ABS size is very limited even with an enclosed chamber (support material and airflow seem to be key here). PLA is easy to print even up to this size though.
October 21, 2013 07:34PM
what do you mean when you say "airflow" seems to be a problem?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login