Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartrap project

Posted by smartfriendz 
Smartrap project
November 11, 2013 10:37AM
Hello everyone ,

I hope i'm posting in the right category? if not, I will move this thread where it needs to be .

I submitted ( a little everywhere) a new reprap design i'm working on for some months now.

I've been very silent about that until now , but i'm a relatively long time builder now ( 3 years ago was my first repstrap in wood, tape and glue gun everywhere smiling smiley .

A page in reprap.org is setup here ,
a github is just started
and a thingiverse thing is up too .

The main goal of this project is to try to have an educative, easy to build ( i mean it) and unbuild! , real reprap in the spirit of what reprappro guys are doing ( gpl, full source and doc everywhere, open to any business ).

So this printer will certainly not be the top notch , best printing quality or speed you're ever seen before . It's not the purpose , but it will be adapted to a home use for discovering and playing with all kind of experiments with 3d printing.

For that , all the structure is printed , no special tool or ultra precision work is need. The main idea was to use the weight of the nema17 motors and build the structure around. I'm quiet happy with this first publishable version and it works even better than expected.

The final goal is not reached for now, but i hope , with some work and interest by the community , it could be a great new base for a "real" reprap, doable by anyone at home.

I will follow up with more informations and pictures ( videos too ) here ,

Thank you

Serge
(smartfriendz)
Attachments:
open | download - smartrap_mini_0.3.png (325.6 KB)
open | download - smartrap_mini_0.3_back.png (300.9 KB)
Re: Smartrap project
November 11, 2013 02:18PM
That's a neat looking little printer. I like the simplicity and openness of your design. Even better than the Printrbot! Thanks for sharing.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
A2
November 12, 2013 01:39AM
Clever design!

Post pics, and videos of it running.

A2
November 12, 2013 03:25AM
Thank you both smiling smiley

I actually disassembled the V0.2 used to print the v.03 . So now i'm assembling v0,3 and start printing . videos and pics to come smiling smiley
November 15, 2013 11:12AM
Hi,

Just to say there was some videos already but couldn't share it here ( youtube problem here ? ).

I've posted a vimeo video of the last assembled version :

[vimeo.com]

We are version 0.4 now and the design should only be updated with "make-life-easier" things.

thanks,

Serge
November 25, 2013 04:39AM
Hi there,

Just to say the documentation of this project is updating , here : [reprap.org].

Thank you,

Serge
February 01, 2014 04:19AM
Hai ,

Smartrap is a fantastic printer
Does anyone know where I can find some of this printer software and wiring diagrams

Kind regards
March 20, 2014 01:38AM
I'm liking the Smartrap as a prospect for an alternative to a Foldarap for a compact portable printer design. Looking at your pictures, I think it could pack up very small by making the Y axis guides separate from the Z axis so that the Y axis can be readily detached - motor and all - and packed into a box between the extended x-axis and the base plate. How small could it package do you think Smartfriendz?

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login