low cost fabbed 3-axis mill from makezine
January 12, 2010 11:07PM
[blog.makezine.com]

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Re: low cost fabbed 3-axis mill from makezine
January 12, 2010 11:31PM
Seems awfully expensive ($500) considering the time to make it and it's limitations. I have seen the sears cnc for $750 at various times using promotions and a coupon. The mcwire is the same or less and seems to be quite a bit more flexible?

A couple of the parts are unusually high end ($14 bearings), possibly you could substitute with much cheaper options and then that would really be something.
January 13, 2010 12:16AM
Seems awfully expensive ($500) considering the time to make it and it's limitations.

He's working with folk towards a larger machine, which is promising.

It would be interesting to hash out a self-replicating type cnc-router machine like
buildyourcnc.com
Only GPL. I don't know if Jonathan Ward is going towards that, but RepRappers could.
January 13, 2010 11:45AM
If anyone wants to build one, here are the designs:

[mtm.cba.mit.edu]

In the video he says "Three to four hundred dollars". The BOM shows a total material price of $458.18 and that's only the mechanicals (no electronics).
January 13, 2010 11:54AM
He likely had some of the components just sitting around. He likely ment "We had to go buy 3-400 dollars worth of stuff", stead of "It will cost YOU 3-400 to make".

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 13, 2010 05:22PM
I've been wondering how interested he is in engaging the RepRap community, if at all.
Here's a cute machine, btw.
[mtm.cba.mit.edu]

Also, I don't mind doing some cheerleading to see if they're willing to check their work into RepRap's wiki, so we can hack on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 05:00PM by SebastienBailard.
January 14, 2010 05:08PM
I'll email Jonathan Ward and the other folk and see if they're interested in copying their stuff up onto RepRap.org. It would help a bit, although folk would probably immediately scramble trying to use cheap machine elements off of ebay and so on.
January 15, 2010 04:13AM
Actually, I'm going to make sure we have a decent stub for Tim's TimBot:
[objects.reprap.org]
McWire,
and
[objects.reprap.org]
up there, so Jonathan will feel as though he's contributing to an existing library of machines, rather than us trying to freeload off his work because it's trendy.

We do need a CNC-router fabricable RepStrap up on RepRap.org, though, and it's silly to have to reinvent it.

We'll coordinate that work here:
[dev.forums.reprap.org]

TimBot is a nice-looking machine, by the way. That's (my place holder name for Tim/Bothacker's name, which is really called ... ?)
[bothacker.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 04:24AM by SebastienBailard.
February 05, 2010 02:06PM
SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems awfully expensive ($500) considering the
> time to make it and it's limitations.
>
> He's working with folk towards a larger machine,
> which is promising.

I like the compact nature of it (all cut from one 2'x4' sheet of 5-ply), but $450 for mechanicals alone seems a bit stiff. Nearly 25% of the cost goes to 8 bearings.

Personally, I'd be interested in a cost-reduced version as a priority over just a larger version.

-ethan
February 07, 2010 05:32AM
I see the frame but where is the electronics?

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login