Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakerBot Clone Build Log

Posted by Deferr 
MakerBot Clone Build Log
April 13, 2010 11:56AM
I have decided to build a Makerbot clone. I will try to save some money by laser cutting my own parts, doing my own machining, using salvage steppers, etc. I have started by getting the dxf files for laser cutting ready. These can be found provided by makerbot for free HERE.

I have also posted a topic in the sales forum about anyone interested in an extra set of laser cut parts. While I am set up to cut them I would love to help out other repstrap builders and kick start their projects. This can be seen HERE.

More to come. Hopefully pictures and video.
Re: MakerBot Clone Build Log
April 15, 2010 06:08PM
The first thing that I have done on this project is model the main structure in Solidworks from the dxf's. Below is a picture of the modeled parts. It was a way that I could work on it before I spent any money. It also familiarized me with each part. It was also fun.

April 17, 2010 08:48PM
This may be helpful:
[reprap.org]

Good luck!

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 18, 2010 10:17PM
SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This may be helpful:
> [reprap.org]
>
> Good luck!

Great link. I will do a similar type project. So far the differences will be as follows.

Hacks to CupCakeCNC design as of 4-18-10:
- Motherboard will be Arduino Mega running Hydra-MMM firmware
- Stepper controllers will be pololu drivers
- Laser cut acrylic pulleys will be used

.... more to come
April 27, 2010 01:50AM
If it helps defray your costs, you're welcome to sell CupCakeStraps in our forums. smiling bouncing smiley

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
December 15, 2010 06:19AM
Saw this thought I would post a few pics of my abandond CupCakeStrap.

I abandond the project as I could not get the Extruder controller to Talk to the Sanguino Board.. I documented the problem in variou places didnt find a solution so I stopped the build. This was around the time of replicatorG 18.

This is all made with MDF as you can cut it with a Stanley Knife and cut fine detail with sharp chisels its glued together with hot melt glue as you can't use screws with captive nuts in MDF as the nuts rip the MDF apart.

Poor mans laser cutter Build Method :- Print it - Stick it - Cut it .
I used laser printer then cut out the paper outlines in the case of bigger parts stuck the prints together.
Then stick the cut out prints onto MDF with glue stick.
Drill all the holes.
Cut around the out lines using a craft knife and Chisel.
Note :- An inkjet printer is just as good as laser printer for this method.

Here are the pics.

SANY0882.JPG

SANY0883.JPG

SANY0884.JPG

SANY0886.JPG

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 06:48AM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
December 21, 2010 03:51AM
I saw it go up in the wiki, Bodge It.

The Print it - Stick it - Cut it approach is interesting. grinning smiley

How far along is BasicMendel?
http://reprap.org/wiki/BasicMendel

Is it at hello world? Or has it pupped yet?

December 21, 2010 08:20AM
I own a Makerbot and one of the flaws in the mechanical build is the plywood T slot fixings. When you tighten them up they tend to pull the nut through the material. In acrylic its even worse, overtighten and the parts crack in unexpected ways. The X Y carriage soon become very loose and the extruder cracks after a few months.

There was a post here with a design using tie wraps, but I can't find it now. It looked really promising and would be much cheaper and stronger. An alternative would be to sew it with nylon fishing wire.
December 21, 2010 12:17PM
You could fill the t-slot and nut with some polymorph

It should make it stronger and also stop it coming loose

[richrap.blogspot.com]
August 19, 2011 05:13AM
So how did that build go? Updates?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login