Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I solder PSU wires to RAMPS?

Posted by TehStranger 
Can I solder PSU wires to RAMPS?
August 20, 2015 12:50AM
Hello all,

So recently I added a heat bed to my Delta and because of that the RAMPS board started smoking and I noticed that the 4 pins terminal where you connect power to is melted. Here is an image:

So I want to solder the wires to the pins on the board because I can't wait until my new terminal comes in the mail. Would this work or catch my printer on fire?

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 12:50AM by TehStranger.
Re: Can I solder PSU wires to RAMPS?
August 20, 2015 07:17AM
Usually it's the cheap connector parts that are the problem. Soldering the wires to the motherboard directly would bypass that problem but it would also make quick disconnection difficult. I personally wouldn't have a problem with a direct connection.
August 20, 2015 08:34AM
You could solder on short lengths of thick silicon-covered wire, and use XT60 connectors on the other end - as the name suggests, they're good for 60 Amps current. Both the wire and the connectors can be bought on-line, or from a model aircraft shop if you have one in your area.

XT60 connectors (but there are many other suppliers)
August 20, 2015 01:33PM
Thanks for the replies. I ended up snipping some pins from binder clips and soldering those to the board and then soldering the PSU wires to the clips and then heat shrinked them and added some hot glue for extra security. It is working perfect at the moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login