Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Doboz", aluminum/plexiglass repstrap with (very basic) 3d scanner smiling smiley

Posted by ckaos 
"Doboz", aluminum/plexiglass repstrap with (very basic) 3d scanner smiling smiley
November 08, 2010 04:54AM
Hello everyone !

After lurking for quite a while, and working away on the machine for month, it has finally gotten to a stage where i feel i can share the general progress:
This is my "Doboz" repstrap, mostly built out of L-Shaped aluminum rails, a bit of wood and plexiglass.

Some technical info:
  • Total Machine size (cm) 39(W)x45(D)x45(H)
  • Maximum build size (cm) : 18x22x22
  • Threaded rod based cartesian bot (ouch , slow!)
  • custom electronics (very cheap based on a dual Arduino with Pololu stepper drivers) with removable electronics rack, front information display, and with io ports to spare
  • firmware is a modified Reprap 5D , with some changes
  • home made, minimal but stable host software (in python)
  • very basic (but also extremely cheap: less than 5 euros) 3d scanning ability
    [*]dual stepper based vertical axis
  • heated bed

-The 3d scanning part is still a work in progress, and is simply based around an IR Led/Photodiode combo
(it is the dangling element you can see on the pictures, next to the extruder)
-There are still a few general issues to work out , like replacing the very basic , made from scrap filament driver with a Wade's Extruder etc but even so it's working rather nicely!

I am really thankfull for all the people sharing their knowledge and experiences , because without them i would not have been able to go this far!
And of course here is the usual build log smiling smiley
http://www.kaosat.net/?tag=repstrap

Don't hesitate to comment/ criticize !

Toiling away on a repstrap : [www.kaosat.net]
Re: "Doboz", aluminum/plexiglass repstrap with (very basic) 3d scanner smiling smiley
November 08, 2010 10:52AM
Looks great! Congrats!
I have a request, though: I'd like to encourage you to "publish" your work on the wiki, once it's all up and running, and you have some free time. to start, all you would need to do is cut and paste your build log into the wiki, and if you don't want to do any more than that, that's fine. others will jump in to clean it up and make it presentable.
Re: "Doboz", aluminum/plexiglass repstrap with (very basic) 3d scanner smiling smiley
November 08, 2010 01:49PM
Really nice job, I will take a look at the blog later.

You can always upgrade to ballscrews to get the speed up, or print yourself a Mendel !

Have you found any issues with the dual x axis motors? I am thinking about doing that on my next repstrap.

Where in the world are you?

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 08, 2010 08:40PM
Great looking printer, are you releasing your firmware changes for your lcd addition?

richrap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really nice job, I will take a look at the blog
> later.
>
> You can always upgrade to ballscrews to get the
> speed up, or print yourself a Mendel !
>
> Have you found any issues with the dual x axis
> motors? I am thinking about doing that on my next
> repstrap.
>
> Where in the world are you?

His dual motor setup is mentioned as being on the vertical axis, so most likely the z axis.
November 09, 2010 06:20PM
Thanks Jeff

I was thinking Z, didn't mean to type X eye rolling smiley

Two motors driving one axis always seems like a bad idea to me, but I can't see a way around it for my next Repstrap as I really want to keep a fixed bed.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
VDX
November 10, 2010 03:46AM
... instead of double motors per axis, select a bigger/stronger one and synchronize the threaded rods by a tooth-belt ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 10, 2010 07:15AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone !
Abou the dual stepper axis : i heard a lot of people saying it was less than ideal , but frankly i haven't really run into any issues just yet, the only problem i have from time to time is with the flexible tubing linking the steppers to the axis that tend to slip after a lot of updown movement, but the tubing is only temporary anyway.
Update: well, the "Demo effect" seems to be in place, even when writing about projects on forums: my extruder driver broke down yesterday during the print of the Wade's extruder , damn ! I managed to get it working so so again, but i really need to switch the mechanism asap!

@Buback : thanks ! I have started a very basic page in the wiki , following your suggestion.

@richrap : thanks a lot!
About ballscrews : if i get that right , those would replace the captive nuts on the stages ?
I do indeed intend to print a Mendel, but before that , i really need to improve the quality of the extruder filament driver (well, replace it), i really don't trust it for long prints just yet smiling smiley
As Jeff said, it is indeed the z Axis that is using a double stepper, and the reason for it is, ironically, is that it is simpler to use dual steppers rather than belts , because i found adapted belts harder to find, and well, having adapted cogs for the belts before you have any printing ability is a nightmare.
I live in Paris , France btw

@Jeff B : thanks a lot! I honestly would gladly release the lcd code, but right now it is quite messy, and my firmware is not standard (due to the fact that the code is split up between two AtMega chips), so i don't know if it would be usable for anyone ?

@VDX : that would indeed be ideal, however having access to adapted toothed belts and a gear to drive them before having access to a 3d printer or a good local hardware store that can supply them is really a big issue: we have discussed this a lot with a friend who is also working on a repstrap, and we really want to avoid any parts that can't be easilly found locally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login