Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SSP Printer (Snap Shot Photo) Derivative of DLP printing

Posted by Celcius1 
SSP Printer (Snap Shot Photo) Derivative of DLP printing
December 30, 2016 05:27PM
Hi Guys,

I was on a road trip with a couple of friends, and my best mate and I do work in graphic design and electronics, and was discussing a possible new way of using the resin from SLA printing in a different manner.

After hours of discussion as there not much to do on a road trip, we came up with in the end, Snap Shot Printing, as the way the resin is cured, and the part is built by means of hundreds of snap shots. Now you ask yourself how did we come up with Snapshot Printing, well the concept is quite simple. With SLA and DLP, the printing is done with a laser building the model up one laser point at a time, my friend and I thought this was slow and kept print speeds on the slower end, but like myself I like things FAST!

So we brainstormed over the hours and came up with Snap Shot Printing, the idea is you have a constant UV back light, similar to a back light used in a LCD monitor, and then you strip down a 24" monitor remove the back light, so all you have is the LCD mask, (remember the old days when projectors were expensive and we made our own home brew ones using an LCD monitor and over head projector). The idea with snap shot printing, is when the LCD mask turns off a pixel and lets the UV light thru, this part of the resin cures. But unlike a SLA and DLP where its single points at a time, the SSP method, basically lets the UV thru to resin where the pixels are off letting light thru, building the 3D model one picture at a time.

Now my best mate and I are not going to start until the new year as we are currently enjoying our time off after a long hard year. But we are welcome to any input people would have. As we believe if we are successful in producing this form of Resin based printing to the reprap community, it would make it feasible that people will have the option to now look into a resin style printer, not just be limited to the FFF based reprap printers. As one of the core components would be to strip from an off the shelf LCD monitor. Until someone starts making reprap specific ones.

We happily welcome the communities input

Many Thanks
Paul
Re: SSP Printer (Snap Shot Photo) Derivative of DLP printing
December 30, 2016 05:41PM
Projector-based resin printing is already been done. See e.g. [forum.seemecnc.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
VDX
Re: SSP Printer (Snap Shot Photo) Derivative of DLP printing
December 30, 2016 07:46PM
... DLP-printers don't draw lines, they already cure "snapshots", as you call them winking smiley

I've modified several DLP-beamers with replacing the original low-UV bulb with a high energy 405nm-UV-LED - have some watercooled with 9Watts optical power out of a square centimeter area, what's enough to cure a slice in some seconds ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login