Introducing Zatsit, a multi-innovant delta 3D-Printer
June 02, 2018 04:23AM
It was already discussed here two years ago, then sporadically during development, but now I'm ready: I'm proud to introduce my Delta printer, Zatsit.

Here are its original features:
  • It is built practically without mechanical components, except the GT2 belts, and some screws. Everything is made from a sheet of a special composite, Hylite, engraved by CNC to create hinges and folds, and thus constitute the mechanism, and all the other necessary components. The accuracy and precision are therefore those of the CNC.
  • The overall architecture optimizes direct and symmetrical force transmission and minimizes cantilevers. What moves is ultra-light, what does not move is ultra-stable, and respects a very exact geometric layout.
  • The hot-end is water-cooled. It is really ultra-simple (so simple that you won't believe it!), ultra-light, all metal, and nevertheless compatible with what already exists (Nozzles, heating blocs, etc...)
  • Accessories such as extruders, fans, flystruders, are always gimballed, thanks to Hylite technology, to minimize parasitic forces on the printhead, and minimize the length of the Bowden tube(s).
  • This is a mechanical kit only. You are free to associate the non-mechanical components (electronics, stepper motors, extruder, heating plate, power supply) that you prefer.
  • After two years of intensive testing, I can say that the technology used is very suitable: simple, light, durable, very easy to assemble, and very accurate without any adjustment.

I would have a lot to say about it. The best is to visit either my website (in French, with a summary in English),
www.zatsit.fr

or, better for English speaking people, my application to the Hackaday.io competition (in English).This one focuses on engraved Hylite technology, and shows other application examples, outside Zatsit.
[hackaday.io]

There are a number of videos (Instructions section) that explain everything in detail, regarding the Zatsit kit.

Enjoy!

P.S. : All this stuff is Open Source CC-BY-SA 4.0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 04:50AM by M_Xeno.
Re: Introducing Zatsit, a multi-innovant delta 3D-Printer
June 02, 2018 10:03AM
One of the most imaginative things I've seen in a long time! Bravo!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 04, 2018 02:48PM
Where are the video instructions?

Also my god were can I get my hands on that coldend! I really like that water cooling solution.
June 04, 2018 03:15PM
Really interesting! I spotted it some time ago! The best part ! It's french ! You can count me in for the kikstarter.
June 15, 2018 05:12AM
Hi everybody!

The Hylite technology is enlighted by HackaDay today :
[hackaday.com]

I'm happy with that! I Hope to enlarge audience...
June 15, 2018 05:43AM
The difficulty I see in the Hylite technology is to precisely mill off the aluminum from both sides without injuring the PP core.
Do you use speciallized tools for that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 05:44AM by o_lampe.
VDX
June 15, 2018 06:54AM
... could be easier to mill the hinges separate and place them afterwards ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 15, 2018 07:54AM
@o_lampe
Yes, I had to develop, with the company I work with, safe methods to position the plate exactly at the same place recto and verso, and to have a perfect flatness. This manufacturer uses modern machining centres with powerful vacuum clamping, but we also had to design special jigs. This was necessary in view of a medium series production with a constant quality guarantee.

I personally have a small CNC that I designed and manufactured. I use it to quickly prototype my ideas in Hylite, without soliciting the manufacturer. The clamping of Hylite plates must be particularly careful, but with experience, I now arrive at the same quality as my manufacturer.

@VDX
It is precisely because all the hinges of the mechanism are engraved together, by an accurate CNC, that Zatsit benefits from this automatic accuracy. If hinges had to be fixed separately to a mechanical structure, this accuracy would inevitably be lost.

P.S. @VDX : Okay, not inevitably, but in a much more complicated way! ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 06:09AM by M_Xeno.
June 15, 2018 08:28AM

...all the hinges of the mechanism are engraved together,

Does that mean, you have to throw away a lot of waste material? That would be a step in the wrong direction IMHO.
June 15, 2018 08:51AM
I mean the base mechanism (the deformable parallelogram). There are videos explaining that in the links I provided.
VDX
June 15, 2018 09:08AM
... you can achieve high accuracy with assembled/combined structures, when milling "fitting marks" to match bases and inserts.

Did this with many micro-tools or tweezers, where I've inserted brass parts into the tweezers, milled from PEEK or POM - got it assembled with overall accuracies down to 3-5 microns, while milled with a common aluminium-frame CNC-mill form Isel, whch is stated with a "Step-Resolution" of 12,5 microns winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 26, 2018 06:01AM
Hi, everyone!
I just published information about my new 3D printheads for Zatsit, integrating hot-end, cooling, and double hobbed gear extrusion, with remote stepper motor.

The latest model produced weighs only 29g, including support, for all these functions.

This work opens the way to a head with four independent materials, but only one remote extrusion motor, which should weigh around 40g... This should interest you...

You can see pictures on Hackaday :
[hackaday.io]

www.zatsit.fr
August 14, 2018 02:00AM
Out of boredom and disbelief, I was browsing the site and came across this. Quite a relief to discover serious and innovative designs. I can stop facepalming smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2018 02:02AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 05, 2018 06:31AM
Hi !
Here is a video of Zatsit running... quite fast !

[vimeo.com]

Enjoy, and share if you like it !

*** EDIT ***
... changed the video URL ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 09:46AM by VDX.
September 05, 2018 03:01PM
Quite impressive indeed. !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
October 06, 2018 05:02PM
Hi, everyone!

Zatsit is on Kickstarter!!!!!

Here is the link: Zatsit on kickstarter

Some of you have supported me, and I renew my gratitude to you. It was a great adventure, which will change in a second phase. A community of Zatsit users may become a reality....

In short, it's going to be a lot of fun! Thank you all!

By the way, here is the latest video, fresh, reporting on the benchmark test that Kickstarter suggested to me:
Kickstarter benchmark
October 07, 2018 01:56AM
Damn,
you caught me in the worst moment ( empty pockets winking smiley )
I wanted to support you anyway and tried to get the 30€ Titan gimbal. But Kickstarter doesn't support Paypal. sad smiley

I hope you reach your goal and I can get a full kit later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login