Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Part Cooling in a heated chamber

Posted by forreason 
Part Cooling in a heated chamber
November 30, 2018 03:43AM
Dear Community,

I am currently Designing an enclosed Printer which I call Rugged Mk I for now. The Rugged MK I is enclosed and has a heated chamber.

3 Years ago I had a Mendel Max 1.5 printer working great. I had 2 cooling fans with a Nozzle like thing blowing air to the print nozzle. This was very important for small Details and Bridges. Now when designing the Rugged Mk I, I am concerned about that Topic in a heated chamber. Is it even worth to blow "hot" air at the Part? Will the Fans last?

Do you have any experience or Idea in those regards? I thought about taking two of those small aquarium pumps and a small nozzle to blow at the Part. Do you think that might do?

Best regards

Julian
Re: Part Cooling in a heated chamber
November 30, 2018 08:34AM
I print ABS in a 50C chamber. The crappy hot-end fan bearings went from silent (like a Noctua, but not a Noctua) to standard noisy after a few hours. The chamber heater has a 5" fan blowing on it inside the chamber and it has had no problems, but it's an industrial part.

Look for quality industrial parts for fans that have to operate at high temperatures. I believe server fans (those small, high speed fans used to cool blade-type servers) are built to survive higher temperatures than the hobby grade cheapos. They tend to be noisy when operated at their rated voltage, so if you don't like the noise, run them from a lower voltage. You can use a cheap buck converter to drop the voltage/noise level.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 01, 2018 02:33AM
I believe, mounting a part cooling fan in an angle any other angle than 0° or 90° shortens it's live, because of the constant zigzagging of the hotend.
A remotely mounted fan with a flexible tube might be the best option in an enclosed chamber.

BTW: Which filament requires a heated chamber and a part cooling fan? IIRC, I printed ABS without part cooling.
December 16, 2018 06:29AM
o_lampe
BTW: Which filament requires a heated chamber and a part cooling fan? IIRC, I printed ABS without part cooling.

Well, in my office room the temperature is not stable, changing in a range of ~20°c. Anyways, I believe, I will attempt a tube design.

Ill find something.
December 16, 2018 09:40AM
For a remote part cooler, see: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com] and [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 09:40AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 17, 2018 08:39AM
Thank you for the references, they really look good. I think thats the way I will try out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login